Disable "decoding frame type"?

Started by datatracer, November 29, 2022, 03:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

datatracer

I've been using avidemux for many years, and I love it, BUT, with the latest versions there was the addition of the pop-up dialog "decoding frame type" whenever a file loads. I know you can click cancel/esc and get rid of the dialog if you plan to re-encode instead of cutting on I-frames for a copy, but I almost always re-encode. It takes a little time to index before the software is ready for editing, which might not be a big deal for someone working on just one individual file, but it gets very slow and tedious if you're batch processing multiple files.

In my workflow, I typically drop 10-15 TV episode files into the viewer to edit out commercials. This also helps me keep filters consistent as I don't have to reload them and set them up for each file. I mark A-B points and queue each episode so I can then run the job control and process the queue. The problem is, when the queue is running, let's say I queued up 10 episodes... for *every* episode, the program will load *every* file I dropped and re-index. So do the math, 10 episodes x 10 files per episode. That's 100 re-indexes. It makes the encoding take way longer than it should, and it's completely unnecessary considering I'm not even copying the video track and just re-encoding it anyway. I also don't want to have to click "cancel" 10 times every time the next file in the queue comes up.

Is there any way to completely disable the "decoding frame type" option in preferences? And if not, could that be added in a future version for those of us who don't really use the copy feature very often?

THANKS!

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: datatracer on November 29, 2022, 03:16:23 AMIs there any way to completely disable the "decoding frame type" option in preferences?

No.

Quote from: datatracer on November 29, 2022, 03:16:23 AMAnd if not, could that be added in a future version for those of us who don't really use the copy feature very often?

I won't rule this out, but probably not as a preference which would enable inexperienced users to shoot themselves in the foot far too easily.

datatracer

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on November 30, 2022, 12:38:01 AM
Quote from: datatracer on November 29, 2022, 03:16:23 AMIs there any way to completely disable the "decoding frame type" option in preferences?

No.

Quote from: datatracer on November 29, 2022, 03:16:23 AMAnd if not, could that be added in a future version for those of us who don't really use the copy feature very often?

I won't rule this out, but probably not as a preference which would enable inexperienced users to shoot themselves in the foot far too easily.

Totally understand, and I'd be perfectly fine with that. I'm an experienced user that regularly dabbles in the .py job files and the SQLite database (whenever I accidentally mess something up and need to re-run a job). As long as I could "set it and forget it" in a configuration file (ie. defaultSettings.py or QtSettings.ini), that would be awesome! Thank you!