News:

--

Main Menu

Can't open Ver: 2.8.0 or 2.8.1

Started by Gourockian, May 23, 2022, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gourockian

Hi, I had been previously using ver: 2.7.5 on my Windows 10-64bit PC and when i went to use it today, I received a message about 2.8 being available, so I downloaded it and went through the various stages of updating. 

However, it would not open so I then deleted it and downloaded 2.8.1, which I believe is the most current version.  The same thing happened. I tried opening from the start menu and also from the .exe file in c:\Programs(X86).

Is there anything I can try to get it to open as normal?

Regards,

Al

szlldm

Can you try the latest .zip from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/  ?
It doesn't have to be installed, you can run the .exe after decompression.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Gourockian on May 23, 2022, 09:35:09 PMI tried opening from the start menu and also from the .exe file in c:\Programs(X86).

Unless you pointed the installer to a custom location, this is not the default install directory for a 64-bit Avidemux.

To troubleshoot the issue, please make sure you install Avidemux (or extract the content of the ZIP archive) into an empty directory and rename the "avidemux" directory in %appdata% in order to rule out incompatibility with old configuration.

If you want to run Avidemux in portable mode, please make sure its install directory is writable (it is not if you install to the default location).

In any case, the "avidemux" directory in %localappdata% must be writable for the user as Avidemux stores its log file there and won't run if it can't. Additionally, never ever run multiple instances of Avidemux concurrently.

Gourockian

Quote from: szlldm on May 23, 2022, 09:44:44 PMCan you try the latest .zip from https://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/  ?
It doesn't have to be installed, you can run the .exe after decompression.

Hi szlldm, thanks for your response.  Yes, I'm able to open the program from the unzipped exe file but I don't see an install file to enable me to load it onto the PC.

Gourockian

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2022, 10:11:23 PMUnless you pointed the installer to a custom location, this is not the default install directory for a 64-bit Avidemux.

Hi eumagga0x2a, thanks for your reply.  I had originally installed it to the default directory and when that didn't work, I then tried it in the (x86) one, so yes, it was my deliberate mistake.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2022, 10:11:23 PMrename the "avidemux" directory in %appdata% in order to rule out incompatibility with old configuration.

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure where to find "%appdata%".

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 23, 2022, 10:11:23 PMIn any case, the "avidemux" directory in %localappdata% must be writable for the user as Avidemux stores its log file there and won't run if it can't.

Again, I'm afraid my PC knowledge is rather limited so not too sure what I need to do here.  I have followed szlldm's suggestion and downloaded the latest zip file and copied the extracted files into a folder called C:\Programs\Avidemux Zip.  This allows me to at least open the program but I would really like to install it but don't see a way of doing this.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Gourockian on May 24, 2022, 01:38:32 PMYes, I'm able to open the program from the unzipped exe file but I don't see an install file to enable me to load it onto the PC.

In this case the problem is for sure unrelated to the Avidemux configuration in %appdata% and its log in %localappdata%, so no need to rename currently existing avidemux directories.

Most probably either the directory where you installed Avidemux was not empty and contained (incompatible) remains of an older installation or you tried to run multiple instances of Avidemux simultaneously.

There is really no need to use an installer, it is provided mostly because people expect an application being packaged this way.

Quote from: Gourockian on May 24, 2022, 01:54:47 PMSorry, but I'm not quite sure where to find "%appdata%".

Just FYI, %appdata% is a so-called environment variable, which expands to the location of the directory, where different application store their user-specific configuration. To navigate straight to that location, press the Windows key + R, paste %appdata% into the "run" dialog and press the Enter (or Return) key.

Gourockian

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 24, 2022, 02:54:41 PMThere is really no need to use an installer, it is provided mostly because people expect an application being packaged this way.

I was thinking it would have been better to have it installed, just to make it easier to open.  I originally tried copying the exe. file from the unzipped folder to my desktop but wasn't too surprised when that didn't work.  I then realised that I needed to right click on it and 'Send' it to the desktop.  I also have it pinned to the taskbar so everything is good now.  Thanks for your help.