News:

--

Main Menu

Feature Request - Frame interpolation

Started by TheInvoker, May 30, 2022, 10:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInvoker

Hello
Is it possible to add this feature to Avidemux?

i know there are already 2 filters that change FPS but none of them actually change the smoothness of the video

Change FPS isto slow/speed the video
Resample FPS should be the one to go for interpolation but even changing from 30 to 60 fps there is no change in the video.

eumagga0x2a

By courtesy of szlldm, frame blending and motion estimation based interpolation are available for resampleFps in Avidemux 2.8.0 with performance improvements in the latest 2.8.1 nightly. The motion estimation mode doesn't work miracles yet, but miracles are generally in short supply.

TheInvoker

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on May 30, 2022, 11:38:33 AMBy courtesy of szlldm, frame blending and motion estimation based interpolation are available for resampleFps in Avidemux 2.8.0 with performance improvements in the latest 2.8.1 nightly. The motion estimation mode doesn't work miracles yet, but miracles are generally in short supply.

i assure you that just for interpolation i'm using a different software and it's working very well. It has 3 different methods: Proprietary, RIFE and SVPFlow (the one i use because it's faster and quality is still good)
i don't know if these 3 methods can be compared to Blend and Motion.

eumagga0x2a

I don't know either, so you should try out, compare and report your findings. Whatever the result, only szlldm would be able to do anything about it.

TheInvoker

does he read the forum?

Edit
Motion compensation always makes Avidemux freeze/crash

eumagga0x2a

Please use the latest nightly. This crash was fixed a while ago.

szlldm

Motion compensation qualitywise is in the same ballpark as ffmpeg's minterpolate, but we can utilize multithreading, while minterpolate single thread only.
SVPFlow probably do better quality, but the end result should be compared (i can't).

ResampleFPS + Motion compensation can do 42 fps output (~ 70% of real time) in case of a 1080p sample, doing 23.976 to 60 fps conversion on my 8C16T up-to-date CPU.

TheInvoker

while ago? i have the lastest official release 2.8.0

Quote from: szlldm on May 30, 2022, 06:59:44 PMMotion compensation qualitywise is in the same ballpark as ffmpeg's minterpolate, but we can utilize multithreading, while minterpolate single thread only.
SVPFlow probably do better quality, but the end result should be compared (i can't).

ResampleFPS + Motion compensation can do 42 fps output (~ 70% of real time) in case of a 1080p sample, doing 23.976 to 60 fps conversion on my 8C16T up-to-date CPU.

SVPFlow does good job for interpolation but it can add artefacts.
best method i saw is the proprietry of that other software that for what i understood is something between SVPflow and RIFE.
But having SVPflow in Avidemux would be good

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TheInvoker on May 30, 2022, 07:26:37 PMi have the lastest official release 2.8.0

Due to lack of affordable time travel, fixes for issues found post-release cannot sneak into it. Please update to the latest 2.8.1 nightly. The last official release is more than 200 commits behind the current development.

edit: the crash in resampleFps in motion estimation mode was fixed on Apr. 17 by this commit.

szlldm

Quote from: TheInvoker on May 30, 2022, 07:26:37 PMBut having SVPflow in Avidemux would be good
we simply can not incorporate propriatery code :(
2.8.1 nightly available here

TheInvoker

Quote from: szlldm on May 30, 2022, 08:23:24 PM
Quote from: TheInvoker on May 30, 2022, 07:26:37 PMBut having SVPflow in Avidemux would be good
we simply can not incorporate propriatery code :(
2.8.1 nightly available here

So how is it possible that the other software could do it?
Avidemux is the most complete software overall for what i need. Now i also understood how to use the queue and even if it's VERY uncomfortable, at least now i can put many files in queue and go to sleep.

szlldm

Quote from: TheInvoker on June 02, 2022, 10:10:38 AMSo how is it possible that the other software could do it?
It is a proprietary software, right?
Avidemux is open source.