News:

--

Main Menu

Windows 11 22H2 (clean Install) Avidemux 2.80

Started by Thors, July 04, 2022, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thors

Hello all,
Avidemux does not work under Windows 11 22H2 Clean Install.
The program starts but you can not do anything, no reaction.
Can anyone of you help me?
Thanks

eumagga0x2a

Is the latest 2.8.1 nightly (currently from June 20) affected too?

If it is, could you please elaborate, what

Quote from: Thors on July 04, 2022, 03:34:02 PMThe program starts but you can not do anything, no reaction.

actually means? The window doesn't receive focus? Does it receive file drops? Does Ctrl+O or Ctrl+Q work?

Would you please provide admlog.txt from %localappdata%\avidemux\ directory resulting from launching Avidemux?

I don't have a possibility to test on Windows 11 myself.

new_user

Hi, same issue - Avidemux 2.8 and the nightly 2.8.1 don't work under Windows 11 Pro 22H2.

First the window needs extremely long (~20s) to load and when it appears, its not responding. Interacting with it triggers the Windows this-app-doesnt-respond message.

You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, it looks like things start to slow down when Avidemux probes the availability of NVENC-based encoders and really stall when Avidemux starts loading video filters. Maybe it is due to some security software intervening? Nothing goes wrong according to the log, it is just something pulling the brakes when Avidemux starts to load all the DLLs which provide its functionality.

new_user

I screenshoted my answer because the forum software gives me a spam error when i post  :-X

You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: new_user on July 12, 2022, 02:47:18 AMNope, its a new installation with drivers and some software like MPC-HD, foobar 2k,...

No snake oil apps or security software except for what Microsoft offerst in Windows 11.

I cannot rule out that this happens due to some file scanning / file signature verification functionality now built into the operating system (similar to what Apple was doing and which greatly prolonged loading time of Avidemux on macOS – if I am not mistaken, it was macOS Catalina – unless one turned off the network connection :o  which allowed Avidemux to start almost instantly). Please try to remove most of video encoder and video filter plugins in Avidemux from its installation directory, just to test the effect.

new_user

You need to be more precise what i should delete where :)

Also on which Avidemux, the nightly or the final 2.8 version?

eumagga0x2a

Always the nightly. The release is useful for regression testing only.

Quote from: new_user on July 12, 2022, 02:15:57 PMYou need to be more precise what i should delete where

In the Avidemux program directory, please descend into the "plugins" subdirectory and in the "videoEncoders" subdirectory, remove all DLLs except of a few, e.g. the "null" (ADM_ve_null.dll) and the encoder plugins with "x264" in the filename (also in the "qt5" subdirectory).

The same applies to the "videoFilters" subdirectory of "plugins". Leave just a couple of DLLs there (no matter which, just to reduce the number).

The goal is to identify those plugins which trigger some extensive scanning or such.

You might also try to check whether the issue depends on the availability of a network connection.

new_user

After the deleting of the .dll files Avidemux started normal.

Sorry, i dont have more time for this, i'll go back to Windows 10 anyways, i tried Windows 11 22H2 and i'm not a fan of it.

eumagga0x2a

That's a pity that you stop short of identifying the plugins which are related to this slowdown at launch, which might have provided hints at the real cause of the problem. But thanks for confirming that Avidemux with very few plugins starts normally.

kev043

Hi there, this is my first post here, I'll start by saying what a fantastic program avidemux is.

I too have just done a clean install of Windows 11 22H2 I've tried various builds of avidemux removed the .dll files as stated above but it still takes a fair bit of time to load and sits there not responding,

Will there be a new build that fixes this issue? It does seem to work as normal after the wait.

Thank you very much for the help. 👍

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: kev043 on September 22, 2022, 01:25:45 PMI've tried various builds of avidemux removed the .dll files as stated above but it still takes a fair bit of time to load and sits there not responding

Does this mean that this still happens with all (probably except of libADM_script_tinyPy.dll) plugins removed? Does this happen with on-access scanner in Windows Defender / whatever security software is installed and active turned off too?

In any case, it doesn't look like Avidmux is doing something wrong, it seems rather that it falls victim to some other software.

Quote from: kev043 on September 22, 2022, 01:25:45 PMWill there be a new build that fixes this issue?

As long as the issue is not understood: no. I don't have Windows 11 to test and the developer who regularly contributes to Avidemux and has a VM with Windows 11 could not reproduce the problem so far. I could not reproduce it on Windows 10 either.

BrokenTalon

Yeah, still not working for me even after deleting almost all DLL files, it just hangs on open.   Again, this worked fine with a dirty Windows 11 upgrade, but on a clean install with nothing else installed pretty much, won't work.  Older version (2.7) also doesn't work.

(Note: It took minutes, but eventually the program was responsive, and now it's fine, so yay!)

eumagga0x2a

Please always test with the latest 2.8.x (currently 2.8.2) nightly. Remove ALL plugins except of a single muxer (let it be the MKV one) and the tinyPy plugin. Does disconnecting the PC from network make any difference regarding Avidemux startup duration?

Rainman74

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on October 03, 2022, 10:52:31 AMPlease always test with the latest 2.8.x (currently 2.8.2) nightly. Remove ALL plugins except of a single muxer (let it be the MKV one) and the tinyPy plugin. Does disconnecting the PC from network make any difference regarding Avidemux startup duration?

This problem still occurs under Windows 11 22H2!

The reason is the reloading of the many filter-dynamic link libraries in conjunction with Windows Defender with default settings (Cloud-delivered Protection).
A whole 193 libraries are loaded and the cloud service probably rightly goes on strike due to flood protection! ;-)

My recommendation is therefore to reduce the dynamic link libraries significantly and cluster the filters into fewer libraries.