News:

--

Main Menu

No decimate plugin anymore?

Started by xtro, September 04, 2022, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtro

Whenever I had to ivtc a NTSC dvd I always used decomb telecide 3:2 pulldown strategy followed by decomb decimate to excellent effect to get 23.96fps. 8)  However the need has come for to use this procedure again, but I see decomb decimate is not in avidemux anymore.

There are also newish plugins. Which one can I safely use to follow decomb telecide to get 24fps as before? Thanks.

eumagga0x2a

Decomb telecide is present in MinGW builds, please use the latest nightly from here.

jimmy

There was a similar unanswered thread, maybe a year ago, that I was watching because this has been bugging me for years.

For interlaced NTSC, avidemux is fine using the Decomb telecide filter, if you leave the frame rate at 29.970. But trying
to decimate to 23.976 invariable results in jerky motion, the Remove IVTC dupe filter does not seem to work right. I have
experimented with countless DVDs and filter combinations, always jerky. If I really want 23.976, I use a differnt program.

xtro

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 04, 2022, 02:33:55 PMDecomb telecide is present in MinGW builds, please use the latest nightly from here.

And those builds includes decimate plugin too? Thanks.

xtro

Quote from: jimmy on September 04, 2022, 08:35:00 PMThere was a similar unanswered thread, maybe a year ago, that I was watching because this has been bugging me for years.

For interlaced NTSC, avidemux is fine using the Decomb telecide filter, if you leave the frame rate at 29.970. But trying
to decimate to 23.976 invariable results in jerky motion, the Remove IVTC dupe filter does not seem to work right. I have
experimented with countless DVDs and filter combinations, always jerky. If I really want 23.976, I use a differnt program.
Me too! Had problems of 'jerky' video output after using IVTC dupe filter experimentations, hence asking about Decomb Telecide, followed by Decimate plugin which for me delivered the goods everytime without problem. Now I tend to use use old software FU Wizard for Ntsc FILM(dvd input as iso), but Avidemux did a much better job at removing the odd bit of residual combing using the older plugins aforementioned.

jimmy

xtro, well, I am glad it is not just me having this problem. It would be super if the Decomb Decimate filter could be added back into the program.

http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:deinterlacing_video

eumagga0x2a

Please provide an interlaced NTSC (30000/1001 fps) MPEG-PS sample (ideally a short one) which originates from a progressive video at "Film" (24000/1001) fps to test various means to accomplish the reverse conversion.

jimmy

xtro, I hope you do not mind me barging in on your thread, eumagga0x2a, thanks for your interest in this matter.

Trying to find a sample to submit led me to some extensive testing, these observations should be valid for the attached MPEG-PS file.

1) decimate one entire VOB file - 23.976 variable frame rate with about 6 duplicate frames per second remaining - thus jerky playback
2) decimate first 5 minutes of VOB file - 23.976 variable frame rate with about 6 duplicate frames per second remaining - thus jerky playback
3) decimate 1 minute in the middle of VOB file - 23.976 constant frame rate no duplicates found
4) decimate 5 minutes in the middle of VOB file - 23.976 constant frame rate with about 1 duplicate frame every 1.2 seconds - thus slightly jerky
5) something I have tried multi times, and it never helped, but in this case remux the VOB file first with mkvtoolnix - 23.976 variable frame rate no dupes found

EDIT - SAMPLE LINK REMOVED - AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for the sample. I get decent results with the following filter chain:

adm.addVideoFilter("admIvtc", "threshold=20", "show=False", "mode=0", "removeDupe=True")
adm.addVideoFilter("ivtcRemover", "threshold=5", "show=False", "mode=1")
adm.addVideoFilter("resampleFps", "mode=2", "newFpsDen=1001", "newFpsNum=24000", "interpolation=0")

admIvtc loses sync with the pattern a few times, especially visible with pictures following 00:01:41.882, but except for these cases, the results look pretty good for me.

I wonder why there is no proper all-in-one solution for this very straighforward operation as PTS and frame rate / time base modifications must be aware of the telecine pattern while resampleFps is "blind" and relies on timing only.

xtro

Quote from: jimmy on September 19, 2022, 11:03:36 PMxtro, I hope you do not mind me barging in on your thread, eumagga0x2a, thanks for your interest in this matter.

Trying to find a sample to submit led me to some extensive testing, these observations should be valid for the attached MPEG-PS file.

1) decimate one entire VOB file - 23.976 variable frame rate with about 6 duplicate frames per second remaining - thus jerky playback
2) decimate first 5 minutes of VOB file - 23.976 variable frame rate with about 6 duplicate frames per second remaining - thus jerky playback
3) decimate 1 minute in the middle of VOB file - 23.976 constant frame rate no duplicates found
4) decimate 5 minutes in the middle of VOB file - 23.976 constant frame rate with about 1 duplicate frame every 1.2 seconds - thus slightly jerky
5) something I have tried multi times, and it never helped, but in this case remux the VOB file first with mkvtoolnix - 23.976 variable frame rate no dupes found

EDIT - SAMPLE LINK REMOVED - AVAILABLE ON REQUEST

Good work Jimmy. Looking for some viable NTSC samples, but you beat me to it. Thanks.

xtro

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 20, 2022, 04:12:39 PMThank you for the sample. I get decent results with the following filter chain:

adm.addVideoFilter("admIvtc", "threshold=20", "show=False", "mode=0", "removeDupe=True")
adm.addVideoFilter("resampleFps", "mode=2", "newFpsDen=1001", "newFpsNum=24000", "interpolation=0")

admIvtc loses sync with the pattern a few times, especially visible with pictures following 00:01:41.882, but except for these cases, the results look pretty good for me.

I wonder why there is no proper all-in-one solution for this very straighforward operation as PTS and frame rate / time base modifications must be aware of the telecine pattern while resampleFps is "blind" and relies on timing only.
The default Detelecine filter together with default Decomb filter always provided excellent results using Handbrake and without duplicate frames or combing in tests I had done. Maybe something similar could be incorporated as 'default' in AviDemux? Thank you.

jimmy

Quote from: xtro on September 21, 2022, 03:37:14 PMGood work Jimmy. Looking for some viable NTSC samples, but you beat me to it. Thanks.
Thank you for starting this thread.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 20, 2022, 04:12:39 PMCode Select Expand
Previous tests were with decomb telecide. Duplicating your filter chain, this time on the entire DVD, the result is almost very
good, but I find too many scene changes with residual combing. I would reject this method for this reason and resort to
the decomb telecide, no decimation, and output the file  at 29.970 fps. A good segue to an ealier post in the thread.

Quote from: xtro on September 05, 2022, 03:35:59 PMbetter job at removing the odd bit of residual combing

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 20, 2022, 04:12:39 PMI wonder why there is no proper all-in-one solution
One last test using an alternate encoding program of last resort. Almost dummy proof. Select the frame rate. Toggle
deinterlace on/off. Toggle detelecine on/off. The output is a fluid file at 23.976 fps with clean scene changees.

Quote from: xtro on September 21, 2022, 03:41:23 PMThe default Detelecine filter together with default Decomb filter always provided excellent results using Handbrake and without duplicate frames or combing
Agreed, that is my alternate encoding program of last resort.