News:

--

Main Menu

v2.8.1 not reading DAR Correctly

Started by Hushpower, December 16, 2022, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hushpower

I'm trying to "convert" a VOB set from a DVD to an MPEG file. When I import the VOBs, AVIDemux appears to be ignoring the DAR flag, which in this case is 16:9. The video is displaying and exporting as 5:4 as shown:

You cannot view this attachment.

For the  export/save, I have to manually set the DAR via the Optput 1 tab (for an H264 export) or the Output Muxer Configure section.

I'm using Video Copy, Audio Copy, Ouput format MP4 Muxer and not changing any other settings.

Import of MP4s (H264) is no problem, the DAR is read correctly.

I can't attach a snippet of the video via Google Drive. Are there any approved file-sharing sites?

It seems to me that there is a bug in that AVIDemux is not reading the DAR of the imported MPG/VOB file. It reads MP4s OK.

I can't post the Mediainfo reports because the forum says they are spam.

Hushpower

Tried again with MediaInfo copy/paste but forum still says it's spam. Here are screenshots:

eumagga0x2a

I'm sorry for having missed the topic prior to you investing that much effort.

Quote from: Hushpower on December 16, 2022, 02:10:03 PMWhen I import the VOBs, AVIDemux appears to be ignoring the DAR flag, which in this case is 16:9. The video is displaying and exporting as 5:4 as shown

This is by design, Avidemux displays all videos using square pixels as concatenation of videos is an important part of its functionality. For this operation, only dimensions in pixels matter. Displaying anamorphic videos with non-square pixels would obfuscate the real situation.

Quote from: Hushpower on December 16, 2022, 02:10:03 PMFor the  export/save, I have to manually set the DAR via the Optput 1 tab (for an H264 export) or the Output Muxer Configure section.

The latter is obligatory because it is really evaluated by most video players in case of MP4 containers, the former optional (mostly ignored by players), but necessary if the output is muxed into MPEG-TS container which doesn't support DAR metadata.

Quote from: Hushpower on December 16, 2022, 02:10:03 PMImport of MP4s (H264) is no problem, the DAR is read correctly.

DAR specified by container is always ignored, DAR specified by VUI part of codec extradata survives because we copy extradata as a whole.

Hushpower

@eumagga0x2a, thanks very much for your reply, and all understood. I'll make sure I set the Output Muxer Config for the correct AR.

Cheers and wishing you a happy festive season.