News:

--

Main Menu

Copy Mode Retains HDR ?

Started by Va3592yoshi, January 26, 2023, 08:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Va3592yoshi

Hi. I am new to editing videos and the video editing world.
 In Avidemux if I add videos that are HDR10 in the copy mode to try to add them together, will the resulting file be in HDR 10?
  I then am going to try to upload the HDR video to YouTube.
I searched to see if this had been asked before in the forum or hdr discussed in the wiki https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=build:doctop , but didnt see it listed that I could see. Sorry if I missed it and this question has been asked!
 Thanks for any insight you can give!

Thanks!

eumagga0x2a

In copy mode, the video stream itself will be preserved in all circumstances (except for conversion between ISO and MPEG-TS when necessary, which doesn't affect the actual content of frames, just the way how the start of each unit and its length is encoded), including HDR-related information stored in the stream itself, but such information stored at the container level is currently evaluated only for Matroska.

Please note that if you append a second video in copy mode, decoder configuration (codec extradata) and the number and properties of all audio tracks must match perfectly.

Va3592yoshi

Thank you so much for your explanations!

On Avidemux under Edit-> Preferences-> Post-Processing-> HDR  do I need to change any of these settings? I wasn't sure what each option did. The target peak luminance in nits looks like it may need to be changed to 1000 nits instead of the default of 100.

You cannot view this attachment.

I tried combining the same type of 4K HDR 59.94 videos in Copy mode in Avidemux, with the output format of MP4 Muxer. I then uploaded the video to Youtube.

I then tried combining the same 4K HDR 59.94 videos in Copy mode in Avidemux, with the output format of MKV Muxer (Matroska). Under Configure I set the Advanced Settings to the settings in one of the attached images (Add color info, Color Primaries, etc.). I wasn't sure if this was necessary. I then uploaded this video to Youtube as well.

You cannot view this attachment.

It has been 3 days since I uploaded the MP4 Avidemux combined video and about a day since I uploaded the MKV Avidemux combined video to Youtube. YouTube recognized the videos as 4K 60 FPS, but it still has not recognized them as HDR. Sometimes it takes Youtube awhile, though, so hopefully it will eventually add the HDR designation to the videos in the next couple of days. I think the videos complied with the YouTube requirements here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7126552?hl=en  that I could tell.

Thanks for your tips and information for working with HDR with Avidemux!

szlldm

HDR settings in Preferences set the default HDR settings, wich can be tuned after loading a video in Video/HDR tone mapping menu (also available as an Icon on the toolbar).
The tone mapping does not affect Copy mode only displaying in Avidemux and if re-encoded.

Va3592yoshi

Oh okay, thank you so much for explaining! This makes sense.
Avidemux has some really great features!
 I really appreciate the help and information!
Thanks!