News:

--

Main Menu

Attempt to open x failed!

Started by jimmyjim, January 18, 2023, 03:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyjim

When a file fails to open avidemux holds onto the file handle, so the file cannot be deleted while avidemux holds onto it. Cheers.

therube

To be clear, after the attempted Open, & after clicking OK, you're saying the handle is left open until Avidemux is actually closed?

How do you force a file to fail to open like you've shown?

And with the File In Use, what type of action were you trying to perform?
An open, i.e., to playback the .ts, or an attempted DEL, or ?

eumagga0x2a

While there is obviously a memleak on failure to open video (which should be fixed now), I cannot reproduce the behavior you describe with the latest 2.8.2 VC++ nightly build on Windows 10: I am able to delete a MPEG-TS file Avidemux cannot open (because the file has no video track) right away, while the message "Attempt to open ... failed" is shown. Do you refer to a current Avidemux version?

What does MediaInfo report about that file Avidemux cannot load?

jimmyjim

Quote from: therube on January 18, 2023, 07:34:32 PMTo be clear, after the attempted Open, & after clicking OK, you're saying the handle is left open until Avidemux is actually closed?

How do you force a file to fail to open like you've shown?

And with the File In Use, what type of action were you trying to perform?
An open, i.e., to playback the .ts, or an attempted DEL, or ?

avidemux is unable to open the file after indexing. All i'm trying todo is open the file to edit it.
I can't delete the file without closing avidemux after it fails to load.

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 19, 2023, 01:18:16 AMWhile there is obviously a memleak on failure to open video (which should be fixed now), I cannot reproduce the behavior you describe with the latest 2.8.2 VC++ nightly build on Windows 10: I am able to delete a MPEG-TS file Avidemux cannot open (because the file has no video track) right away, while the message "Attempt to open ... failed" is shown. Do you refer to a current Avidemux version?

What does MediaInfo report about that file Avidemux cannot load?

This has happened on every version i've ever used (for the past couple of years) but i'm using 2.8.2 at the moment:

Cool, i've never used mediainfo before:

Cheers

eumagga0x2a

Could you please provide a sample MPEG-TS file Avidemux cannot open after having started indexing? As the output of MediaInfo doesn't mention frame rate, I can guess that this H.264 (AVC) stream was encoded in a way that time base / fps information in missing in SPS NAL units, which currently renders it unusable with Avidemux.

jimmyjim

I've sent you a message, thanks!

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for the sample. As expected, missing timing info in the H.264 stream renders it not directly usable with Avidemux. To make it usable, edit corresponding *.idx2 index file and replace

Fps=0
e.g. with

Fps=60000
(the real average fps is much lower, around 20 fps, but it is variable and 1/60 = 1000/60000 looks like a safe time base for a screen capture).

Now back to the subject: I can confirm (on Linux) that video file indeed remained open on failure to open it in Avidemux, but this issue has been fixed by memleak fix I mentioned above. Future nightly builds will behave correctly in this respect (they may get different issues as I am going to merge ffmpeg5x soon).

Thank you for your report.

jimmyjim

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on January 20, 2023, 12:07:23 PMThank you for the sample. As expected, missing timing info in the H.264 stream renders it not directly usable with Avidemux. To make it usable, edit corresponding *.idx2 index file and replace

Fps=0
e.g. with

Fps=60000
(the real average fps is much lower, around 20 fps, but it is variable and 1/60 = 1000/60000 looks like a safe time base for a screen capture).

Now back to the subject: I can confirm (on Linux) that video file indeed remained open on failure to open it in Avidemux, but this issue has been fixed by memleak fix I mentioned above. Future nightly builds will behave correctly in this respect (they may get different issues as I am going to merge ffmpeg5x soon).

Thank you for your report.

Thanks so much, the file now opens.
Seeing as you said it's not directly usable, the file opens fine but after editing, the video output seems to require re-encoding (tested video output-> hevc x265 and it's fine) for a usable output file. Video output -> copy (output format is mp4) gives a green screen throughout the file.

Cheers tho, this saves converting to mp4 to open the file.

jimmyjim

I seemingly cant post a more detailed response because the forum detects it as spam but the new nightly crashes instead now with an exceptionfilter > exception_access_violation. Changing the idx2 file with a fps value and reopening still works tho

eumagga0x2a

Please don't hesitate to provide detailed info via PM, thank you.

The bundled FFmpeg in Avidemux has been upgraded to version 5.1.2, some stuff may break, regression reports welcome.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: jimmyjim on February 12, 2023, 05:27:35 AMthe new nightly crashes instead now with an exceptionfilter > exception_access_violation.

The crash should be fixed by commit [demuxers/MpegTS] Initialize tsPacket, clarify debug messages. Thank you for catching it.