Avidemux 2.5.6 fails to build: cryptic error message

Started by Viervo, January 28, 2023, 02:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viervo

Hello.

I currently run Gentoo, and wanted to use Avidemux 2.5.6 for datamoshing. I am aware that there's a way of doing it with versions 2.7.0 and later; however, as described on a Reddit guide, it was a "hit or miss" when it came to glitching videos significantly. Therefore, I decided to compile version 2.5.6 from here. Unfortunately, after executing bootStrap.sh / bootStrap_debug.sh, I got the following error:

QuoteCreating temporary lib directory for proper plugins linking
[  5%] Built target ffmpeg
make: *** [Makefile:136: all] Error 2
*** fail make_main ***

The bootstrap script references a Makefile inside buildMain, and well... I cannot figure out how this line could be throwing out the latter error:

Quote$(MAKE) $(MAKESILENT) -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 all

Is there anything I may be missing? Anywhere else I may check for errors? Perhaps there's some other tutorial that shows how to create datamoshes of equivalent quality using later versions?

szlldm

You can easily "datamosh" with the latest version too.
Encode the two video (same resolution) with xvid (xvid4), use the exact codec settings, set "Gop Size" to maximum.
Open the first video in new Avidemux session, append the second one. Go to the cut point (boundary between the two video) marked with a vertical red line, place marker A there. Go a single frame further place marker B, then delete the selection. Save with "Copy" mode. Ignore any warning. Enjoy.

Viervo

Sorry for being vague on what kind datamoshing I was referring to; it's not the transitions between clips through the removal of I-frames. I intended to create this "bloom" effect, which involves duplicating P-frames. Such creates a sense of computer freeze while significantly distorting the image (like this or this).

Following the aforementioned tutorial only froze the affected frames, without distortion as chaotic as the examples above. Any tips to properly achieve this other effect in later versions?

szlldm

I was able to do this "bloom" effect. Contrary to the tutorial, i used the xvid encoder (as in transition datamosh), with zero B frames and max GOP. With x264 it just froze as you mentioned.

Viervo

Yeah, that works. That's almost exactly the change I was seeking: datamoshes are pretty close to the ones I got from 2.5.6 running on WINE, but they're not as persistent or "infectious". However, this comes at the convenience of no crashes, not having to adjust the view when working on 720p videos and up, not having to remember to encode with AAC every time, and not having to save and reopen after duplicating 39 P-frames or so.

Before marking as solved, does anyone know if the Linux 2.5.6 version has the same problems as 2.5.6 running on WINE? I just wanted to know if I'm really not missing out on much.