Avidemux instantly crashes when you load some video files

Started by zerolab, May 19, 2023, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerolab

I use Avidemux regularly to trim some clips from large videos and also to reencode some of my videos to reduce file size. Recently I have been having problems with some videos. If I load some videos by drag and drop or from the menu File > Open, Avidemux crashes shortly after. Every attempt to load these videos get the same result. I tested the files with VLC and MPC-HC, and they're 100% playable, but Avidemux fails to load them. Any suggestions on what can be done to fix this problem?
You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment. 

Mamecube

Are these streamed files? I've noticed that a lot of stuff like Twitch streams at 1440p+ seem to begin to make an I-frame, run out of time - and just stop, but leaves the partial data. It causes the seek in a standard video player to skip a lot further than you'd want, but doesn't usually break. In an editor... it will usually break. This isn't really unique to Avidemux, it's pretty much any editor you throw them at.

If you want to convert and then clip, you could try Handbrake or MeGui (or just a command line ffmpeg). The issue seems to be related to indexing the file for playback. If you just re-encode without trying to map it out, it can be re-encoded. After re-encoding I would imagine Avidemux will load it without issue. Then you could make clips like usual.

eumagga0x2a

I definitely missed this topic. Unfortunately, it contains zero usable information. Unless zerolab provides at least admlog.txt (to be retrieved from %localappdata%\avidemux directory) from launching the latest available Avidemux nightly and reproducing the crash, no assessment can be done.