Feature Request: Make Compatible Video Script Export, Silence Batch Jobs, Focus

Started by Dave9, July 14, 2023, 07:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave9

1)  Suppose you have two videos (or more) and are different resolution, different codec, frame rate, audio, etc, that something is keeping them from being appended together.

It would be nice to have a feature, when you pick which video has the dominant properties you want to keep, load that video into Avidemux, Avidemux gets the properties from it and allows to save a project script, that when loaded with a different (2nd) video, converts that 2nd video into one compatible with the first so that Avidemux allows appending them together.

I hope I have worded this in an understandable way.  Have Avidemux generate a project script with no video file name or path, that facilitates conversion of a new video to the pre-existing properties of the video that this script was made from, without having to set all this encoding and filters manually in Avidemux.

Mainly this would be codecs, bitrates, framerate, resolution, # of audio channels, and anything else I'm overlooking.  I don't really know all the details of making some videos compatible so it would not just be a time saver but also allow users to get more done when they don't know exactly what they're doing (lol).

2)  I saw a topic a few years back about this and wonder if times have changed... I'd love to be able to run a batch job, and after the initial windows command window popup, not have any further popups when each subsequent video file is loaded, have avidemux stay in the taskbar tray?

I understand a setting for that could cause confusion for some users but if it's set by default to run in an open window and the user toggles that setting, they still have access through the taskbar tray.

3)  Is there a way we could have a settings feature for Avideumx to not steal windows focus?  It can get annoying when I'm trying to do some other work, and Avidemux pops up over top of that. 

PS - I love the new Delete Selection feature in 2.8!

sark

Quote from: Dave9 on July 14, 2023, 07:06:54 PMIt would be nice to have a feature, when you pick which video has the dominant properties you want to keep, load that video into Avidemux, Avidemux gets the properties from it and allows to save a project script, that when loaded with a different (2nd) video, converts that 2nd video into one compatible with the first so that Avidemux allows appending them together.
Sadly, a nice idea, but not practical.

This is a similar issue to lossless, frame accurate, trimming. The common trick is to trim from your chosen start frame to the nearest next keyframe, encode this small section and concatenate back to the main stream. Likewise at the end of the stream. Only two short sections would require encoding. The problem is that the encoded sections will not have parameters matching the main body of the video stream, and therefore issues occur when concatenating back.
No one yet has appeared to solve this issue with any reliability. This is less a lack of function, but an issue with extracting and implementing all the existing parameters.

signy13

Quote from: Dave9 on July 14, 2023, 07:06:54 PM3)  Is there a way we could have a settings feature for Avideumx to not steal windows focus?  It can get annoying when I'm trying to do some other work, and Avidemux pops up over top of that. 
I would love to have this option too (although I do not know if it is technically possible - different operation systems, different desktop managers...).
I am working on Xubuntu Linux so I made myself a BASH script (which uses wmctrl), which:
  • opens multiple Avidemux window (multiple files) for me,
  • when the main window waits for loading of its file (and there are different annoying popup windows) my script moves the main window to the next workspace,
  • so my desktop manager moves the popup windows to the same workspace.
  • Once the file is completely loaded (so its name can be detected by wmctrl), the main window is moved back to the original workspace.
This way I was able to minimize appearance of the popup window stealing my focus. Still it is not complete solution, because every popup window appears for a moment and if for example I am writing at the time and I hit a space, I can close the popup window (what I do not want to of course).
But still - this script is better than original behaviour.