A weird issue with HD recordings in TS format...halp?

Started by cammer78, May 28, 2023, 08:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cammer78

Elo people. I have a rather weird issue that perhaps someone has dealt with in the past and can help. Starting with the basics..... i use the Avidemux 2.8.1 on Windows 10 64bit. The only thing i do with it, is to edit recorded videos from my TV, in TS format, where i simply cut ads and save the rest intact in the same format. Usually everything works like a charm, but not long ago, i started recording from the HD streams of the channels instead of SD when the signal is good.

The issue now, appears only in HD recordings, fortunately not all of them. To clarify...... the videos are fine, play fine without any troubles... but.... when i insert some of them in Avidemux, which are as long as 1-2h for example or more, something causes the program to show 5-10mins only to edit, from start to finish.

Is there anything i can do to make it see the video properly? Any setting that could make a difference? I use the program without changing the preferences since i never had to, but maybe now i have to.... but if I have to..... no clue what! I hope the attached pic can give you an idea of what i see.  :o You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

Please update to the latest available 2.8.2 nightly, delete the corresponding *.idx2 index file, open Avidemux, load the MPEG-TS file, close Avidemux and provide (e.g. as an attachment to your reply) admlog.txt from %localappadata%\avidemux\

The most probably cause of the issue is video resolution changing on-the-fly, a situation Avidemux absolutely cannot handle. Recent versions will at least try to use the part of the stream up to the location where video properties change, which may explain the behaviour you experience. The log will tell.

cammer78

Thank you for replying @eumagga0x2a.... i followed the steps you gave me exactly and i attached the log you asked for. I will be waiting for your findings on this, no rush, take your time, wish i could buy you coffee and pizza :)

You cannot view this attachment. 

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for the log. The source MPEG-TS (M2TS type) stream seems to be damaged at offset of 318,311,044 bytes which is less than 8% of the entire file (filesize: 4,223,533,056 bytes):

[tsPacket::getSinglePacket] Sync lost at 0x12f90a84 (value: 0x5b)
[Mpeg TS] Sync definitevly lost
[tsPacketLinear] Refill failed for pid : 0x5e6 (1510)

I would copy the part of the file starting with this offset to a new file which is trivial on Linux:

tail -c +318311044 /path/to/source.ts > /path/to/output.ts
(no idea how to accomplish this on Windows) and see whether Avidemux accepts output.ts in full length (i.e. whether that is the only damaged location in the stream).

No resolution changing on the fly or such, however.

cammer78

You replied faster than i expected. Thank you again for spotting the problem, but i am afraid i did not quite understand what to try and how. If you think you could be a bit more specific, then all the better, if not, well, then i will have no other option than keep the video as is it seems.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: cammer78 on June 02, 2023, 06:16:58 PMIf you think you could be a bit more specific

I fear, I was too specific. A more general answer: your source video is damaged. Avidemux loads the part of the video up to the damaged spot.

If you want to explore whether the part after this spot can be loaded and then eventually edited successfully, you need to cut off the beginning of the file (approx. the first 303,6 MiB). I don't know how to accomplish this task (trivial on Linux) on Windows.

I have no idea what has caused data corruption in the affected videos.

If you would like me to have a look at such a video, please provide the first ~500 MiB of the source video as a sample via WeTransfer, Mega, Dropbox or Google Drive.

cammer78

Thank you for trying friend. I meant if you could be specific as to how to cut the video since i don't know either how to do it. I understood your explanation well and if i find a way to proceed, we'll talk again... or not!!  :)