News:

--

Main Menu

[SOLVED] MKV from GUI is small than from CLI

Started by gnulab, June 25, 2023, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnulab

Hi,

If I were to load a TS video file, save it as MKV from the GUI, the result MKV file is smaller in size than when using the cli version.

The command I use is as follows:

for %%f in (*.ts) do %avidemux% --load "%%f" --video-codec x264 --audio-codec MP3 --output-format mkv --save "%%f.mkv" --quit
As for the GUI, I had not configure anything yet.

Both versions of MKV when getting media information from avidemux gives the same result:

MKV1
=====================================================
Video
=====================================================
Codec 4CC:            AVC1
Image Size:            1920 x 1080
Aspect Ratio:            1:1 (1:1)
Frame Rate:            29.969 fps
Average Bitrate:        2597 kbps
Total Duration:            00:35:53.287
Pixel format:            YUV 4:2:0, 8-bit
Color range:            Limited (MPEG)
Color primaries:        BT.709
Transfer characteristics:    BT.709
Color space:            BT.709

So, what arguement is missing?

Thank you.

gnulab

Found the answer here.
https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:video_filters

Avidemux has a copy feature. So I modify the command line to:

for %%f in (*.ts) do %avidemux% --load "%%f" --output-format mkv  --save "%%f.mkv" --quit

eumagga0x2a

When you drop --video-codec option, Avidemux uses whatever default encoder was specified in defaultSettings.py, no guarantee that it is "Copy". Therefore you probably should not skip it.

Avidemux Wiki is extremely outdated, better to ignore it alltogether.

sark

Oh... I came back here hoping to buy a mop... What happened?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously... How come Clean Talk regularly blocks me, but not who they are supposed to block?

eumagga0x2a

Honestly, the current wave of spam by means of presumably compromised user credentials is especially despicable because spammers now vandalize valid old posts. This forum should allow editing of posts only for a short period of time after a post has been published.

CleanTalk is just that – a massive locked gate in an open field without a fence.

sark

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 26, 2023, 03:42:45 PMThis forum should allow editing of posts only for a short period of time after a post has been published.

All forums should limit the editing time span of posts.

There are other reasons why this would be beneficial, but none more so than the recent spate of attacks this site has suffered, and others I suspect.