CLI: Strange file naming behavior with auto split

Started by scandic, May 20, 2012, 10:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scandic

When using the autosplit command the filenames of the output are very confusing.
i.e.:
avidemux2_cli --nogui --load source.mp4 --autosplit 100 --save destination

will result in files:

destination
destination01
destination02

This is not very straight forward and also limits to 99 parts. I didn't find a way to specify a pattern for the output file name. Is there a way to get it done?

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: scandic... This is not very straight forward and also limits to 99 parts. ...

I don't believe autosplit was intended for this usage: cutting video in 100 Mb chunks. It was there to solve .avi 2GB size limitations and the 650/700 MB CD-R issues.

Quote from: Advanced cutting: AutosplitAutosplit

Using File→AVI Muxer Options, you can specify a file size in megabytes. Each time that file size is reached and an intra frame is present, Avidemux will create a new file. You will end up with foo.avi.1, foo.avi.2 etc.

As the new file must begin at an I-frame, the file size you specify is only accurate to within about 5 megabytes.
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:cutting

Quote from: Command line usage: --auto-splitAvidemux will automatically split the files when they reach the given size and create file.avi, file.avi.1, file.avi.2ââ,¬Â¦ The default is 2 GB
http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=using:command_line_usage

scandic

I have already read the (not 100% correct) documentation and your answer does not face my question.
In fact the file naming scheme is not like mentioned in the documentation. By the way it really doesn't matter for what the function has been made. If I want to split a 10GB video into 50MB parts to parallel transcode it on 200 CPUs that should fit the intention.

Jan Gruuthuse

Sorry, that the 1st reply was not what you expected.
The only other option remaining is making a request to your specific needs: Splitting video clips into specific parts/sizes as in your example: 200 parts out of 10 GB. With a specific naming scheme or you end up again with "filename,  filename.001,  filename.002 ...  filename.199"
Feature requests