2.5.6 crashes when saving project

Started by golinux, October 24, 2012, 01:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Gruuthuse

There has been some server issues. I'm just able to login now on this forum, still working very slow. Guess the wiki will clear later to.
Probably all related to super storm "Sandy": several big data centers on US east coast, flooded with water, no electricity: powerlines cut or diesel contaminated with water

Jan Gruuthuse

normally you should be able to start 2.5.6 from terminal:
/usr/bin/avidemux2_qt4

Jan Gruuthuse

sudo is the instruction to do something with privileges of another user, normally the superuser. You should have an equivalent instruction in your flavor of linux.
It would not be exactly the same as switching from user environment to superuser environment and giving that instruction. Sudo you would work in user environment passing a superuser instruction. There could be differences between both environments: user <> superuser.

golinux

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on November 01, 2012, 10:06:27 AM
sudo is the instruction to do something with privileges of another user, normally the superuser. You should have an equivalent instruction in your flavor of linux.

Thanks for addressing the sudo issue.  Sudo is not enabled by default in Debian.  I really do not want to enable sudo now that I've gotten rid of that questionable habit.  Su and a root terminal work just fine.

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on November 01, 2012, 10:06:27 AMIt would not be exactly the same as switching from user environment to superuser environment and giving that instruction. Sudo you would work in user environment passing a superuser instruction. There could be differences between both environments: user <> superuser.

And that's why the shell script is limited and probably useless to me unless it can be modified to install with su instead of sudo.  :(   Any ideas how to do that?  In the meantime, I'll keep playing with it . . .

golinux

I have tried to install 2.5.6 on wheezy with xfce, mate and salineos (all on separate partitions so as not to interfere with each other).  They all crash when trying to save any file configuration other than auto DVD.  I also installed the qt version from synaptic (I never could get the shell script to do it even with sudo).  QT crashed the same as GTK.  Besides that, I couldn't stand to work with the kde-inspired interface even if the features worked so qt is not an option for me.  All this is so very depressing . . .  :(