Smart Copy/I Frame questions

Started by nevir, June 20, 2013, 06:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevir

Hey guys.  I've been using Avidemux for years for .gif production, but just recently started to attempt some actual video editing.

My problem is that I simply want to be able to cut and paste video at any frame.  This is supposedly possible via Smart Copy, but I can't figure it out even after mucking about with settings and searching the web for days.  So my questions are:

1. What settings in Avidemux are required to allow for Smart Copy mode, and is there any way to tell that it is in effect other than the automatic conversion to I-frames after a copy/paste?

2. What attributes does the original video file need to allow for Smart Copy, if any? I normally use Handbrake for conversion, so very specific advice could be given about how to produce Smart Copy friendly mpegs if y'all are familiar with that software.

3. Failing this is there a way to force I-frames where I want them during encoding, or to force every frame to be an I-frame, or is there a specific format or setting that would just let me copy/paste with impunity?

Basically: what is the easiest way to get Avidemux to chop up and reconstitute video at whatever damn frame I want it to without ending up with a janky/ugly/broken output file?

I feel like I must be missing something incredibly obvious.  This seems like basic functionality, and I'm a pretty bright guy, so it is infuriating to not be able to figure this out.  I'm using 2.5.6, win64.

Thanks for any and all help, and also thanks much to any developers that might read this.  If nothing else Avidemux has been, and will likely remain, a part of my .gif kit for a long time.

mean

smart copy only works for mpeg4sp (divx)

lenildosb

dear colleague, I already gave up on this program, now use SolveigMM Video Splitter is the best!!

lenildosb

hi guys, smarty copy only working with version Avidemux 2.4 GTK+!!!!