avidemux's 'indexing images' functionality, able to export?

Started by terminaltrip421, May 18, 2016, 10:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminaltrip421

when loading a video it looks like avidemux is always saying that it's indexing all of the video's frames. perhaps I'm wrong about that? if not is there any way to export those same frames using avidemux or might there be another program similar that one is aware of?

currently I'm employing vlc media player to take a screencap every second or so but that requires an entire play-through of the video. with avidemux's apparent ability to dissect the video down to the frame and with rapid speed it would be a great tool if I could then export those same frames as image files.

I'm really feeling like I missed the boat with the whole lack of coder knowledge thing. gots to rely on people having a want for the same sort of program functionality, then the ability to code it and furthermore the inclination to share. avidemux is an example where it's worked out incredibly well, obviously. just still so many things out there to leave people wanting. thanks for any help!

Jan Gruuthuse

I don't think you can take the wording directly, avidemux is indexing the video, the frames are not there.

you could consider installing ffmpeg with this command you would export a jpeg picture every second:
ffmpeg -i foo.avi -r 1 -s WxH -f image2 foo-%03d.jpeg
replace foo.avi by your video
-r flag: frames per second
source: ffmpeg 6.3 Video and Audio file format conversion
more ffmpeg possibilities: Create a thumbnail image every X seconds of the video

terminaltrip421

thanks yeah I'm using vlc for it was just hoping there might be a program that broke down all of the frames in the sort of time I mistook avidemux for doing it in.

Jan Gruuthuse

maybe sometime, export frame to picture (jpg/png) will be restored.