Muting sound for parts of a video

Started by Norbert, May 18, 2016, 10:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norbert

Hi all,

as a relatively new Avidemux user (I use 2.6.12 64-bits on Windows 7), I regularly perform re-encoding of H.264 mp4 files using AAC as sound, downloaded from a professional tv recorder (save.tv).  Most of my activities is using the Mplayer Delogo filter (which is kind of hidden in Video-Filters-Sharpness rather than in Video-Filters-Miscellaneous, as some available documentation still says), to get rid of annoying TV station logos and temporary on-screen text which have nothing to do with the video in question.

Now, sometimes, close to the end, the TV broadcasts contain a couple of seconds nasty sound saying e.g. "And now we will be broadcasting this next very interesting item..." which I like to erase from the sound.

I have been looking for a possibility to mute a part of a video. Haven't found an option, but a little extra work will do the trick: Set the Audio Output to AAC (Faac), then Filters-Gain-Gain mode:manual(dB) and select -10.0 which is the lowest value available.

The result is not mute but lesser volume. So I produce the same process 4 times in a row, creating 4 files subsequently, and in the end (the 4th file) I have so low a volume as sound that it may be considered mute.

Before that I'd tried to disable the audio track in Audio-Select Track, which however lead to a crash when trying to append the file chunk w/o audio track to the one before which has audio.

I hope this may be helpful to someone out there.

Jan Gruuthuse

You could when finished editing the video, import audio from the video clip drag and drop on audacity (windows requires audacity FFmpeg import/export library, found on Optional Downloads). Manipulate the audio selection (thinking effect filter: Karaoke) or whatever you want to do with it.
Export it back to the required codec and import this afterwards in to avidemux.