News:

--

Main Menu

No start file!

Started by cliffhanger, September 27, 2016, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffhanger

Hi

Just compiled Avidemux(twice) for the first time under Linux using the bootStrap.bash script.  Once without GTK support and with GTK.  I'm getting no start file i.e. avidemux_gtk anywhere!   I have the desktop file pointing to it but not the file.

What's going on?   Or have I missed something?

thanks

Cliff

eumagga0x2a

The GTK Avidemux GUI is long dead, use the Qt (Qt5) one. Write the desktop file yourself and put it e.g. in ~/.local/share/applications, e.g.:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Avidemux Video Editor (Qt5)
Comment=Graphical video editing tool - Qt5 interface
Icon=totem
Exec=/path/to/avidemux/wrapper/script
MimeType=video/mpeg;video/quicktime;video/x-msvideo;video/x-anim;audio/x-mp3;audio/x-mp2;
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=AudioVideo;AudioVideoEditing;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.23
StartupWMClass=avidemux3_qt5

(adjust the path to match your system). I strongly recommend to use a wrapper around avidemux3_qt5 similar to

#!/bin/bash

exec /usr/local/bin/avidemux3_qt5 > /dev/null 2>&1;

exit 0

to prevent it from flooding user's journal with status messages. In case you need these messages for deeper understanding of Avidemux' processes, you can launch avidemux3_qt5 in a terminal.

Using Totem icon instead of low-res Avidemux one is just my personal preference ;-)

cliffhanger

Many thanks for the advice. 

So can I take it that the bootStrap.bash script is the way to go?  There is reference to cmake from the beginning on the site.

I assume the startup script should be in /usr/bin if I install?

Cliff

eumagga0x2a

Use rather /usr/local/bin or a local bin directory instead. Don't mess with system provided binaries.

I recommend to change CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in bootStrap.bash to /usr/local unless you can't add /usr/local/lib and/or /usr/local/lib64 to your shared library loader path in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/something.conf.

Using --rebuild option speeds up repeated builds very much because it doesn't discard existing build directories.

If your CPU has more than 4 cores, I'd recommend also the attached patch to speed up the build of the bundled ffmpeg.

eumagga0x2a

Maybe I should add that I see very little use in packaging provided by CPack component of CMake because such packages lack dependency information and e.g. with RPMs files get wrongly classified as configuration. Just defining /usr/local as prefix and copying the corresponding subfolder of the "install" folder over the existing /usr/local does the trick.

cliffhanger

Right the build fails around 90% with:

[ 90%] Generating avidemux_fr.qm
cd /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5/i18n && /usr/bin/cmake -E echo Generating /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5/i18n/avidemux_fr.qm from /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/avidemux/qt4/i18n/avidemux_fr.ts
Generating /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5/i18n/avidemux_fr.qm from /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/avidemux/qt4/i18n/avidemux_fr.ts
cd /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5/i18n && /usr/bin/lrelease /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/avidemux/qt4/i18n/avidemux_fr.ts -qm /mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5/i18n/avidemux_fr.qm
lrelease: could not find a Qt installation of '5'
i18n/CMakeFiles/qmfiles.dir/build.make:110: recipe for target 'i18n/avidemux_fr.qm' failed
make[2]: *** [i18n/avidemux_fr.qm] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5'
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1599: recipe for target 'i18n/CMakeFiles/qmfiles.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [i18n/CMakeFiles/qmfiles.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/mnt/home/cliffy/Downloads/avidemux_2.6.14/buildQt5'
Makefile:130: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have both qt4 and qt5 on the system and this is the problem.  Tried exporting PATHS inc: export QT_SELECT=5 but with no luck.  I'm running on Qt4, but looks like i need to remove all PATHS to it.

Cliff

mean

you need qt5 dev tool installed : qttools5-dev-tools

If you are running ubuntu/fedora, just run the createDebFromSourceUbuntu.bash createRpmFromSourceFedora.bash
It will install all basic dependencies and create the deb/rpm for you