News:

--

Main Menu

Any way to change default encoding priority?

Started by cherold, February 28, 2017, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cherold

Right now whenever I encode anything, avidemux starts encoding at "below normal" priority. Every single time, I have to manually change this to high. Is there any way to change the default so it always uses high?

Jan Gruuthuse

Yes.
Warning:
If your computer cooling is standard out of the box. You run the risk of overheating your CPU.
Check computer air ducts and fans for dust clogging (decreases cooling)
computer dust clogging
Keep an eye on your cpu temperature: if it operates within it's safety margin.

Avidemux Menu: Edit: Preferences: Threading:

Prioritisation:
Encoding priority: [Normal]
Indexing/ ...:  [Normal]
Playback priority: [Normal]

[OK]
--------
Avidemux Menu: Edit: Save current settings as default

cherold

Thanks! I generally am do quick little things that take less than a minute on high, so I wouldn't expect to have too much issue with temperature.

Jan Gruuthuse

eumagga0x2a

Changing priority (if this works on Windows) has nothing to do with CPU load and temperatures. The encoding process will be just less nice to other processes from other applications.

Jan Gruuthuse

Check again please. You are increasing the workload on the cpu, if no gpu is used. The workload can increase up to 100% / core and increases of +35Ã,° C or higher. This specially whilst encoding video. You should hear the fans revving up, to coop with heath increase.
on windows use IntelÃ,® Processor Diagnostic Tool
Frequently Asked Questions about Temperature for IntelÃ,® Desktop and Mobile Processors
Computer Is Overheating Warning Signs

AQUAR

If the CPU is under utilised whilst running ADM:
- upping the priority level on ADM may give it more CPU processing cycles.
- if it does then the CPU idle time will be decreased and of course the load on the CPU is increased.
- so ADM might software encode faster (probably stay the same as these things are already well managed!)

On the other hand, if the CPU is already working hard, then upping the ADM priority could steal CPU processing cycles from other important system processes.
- functioning of the PC may well become troublesome and that might affect how well ADM works.

Experiment if using an I7, leave alone if using an I3.

If your PC is 100% CPU utilised, and prone to overheating during a long encoding session, try lowering the maximum processor state (parameter under windows power options).