Problem replicating/copying multiple instances of a short clip with v2.7

Started by BG Davis, January 17, 2018, 09:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

1. I selected a short section (approx 4 seconds) from a video clip, using v2.7, and saved as mp4.  I did not cut on I-frames.
2. I opened the resulting short clip using v2.7, and copied and pasted 3 times onto the timeline.  When I tried to save, the program failed (see attached images).  This happened on several re-tries.
3. I then opened the same short clip using v2.5, and again and copied and pasted 3 times onto the timeline.  When I saved, the program had no problems.  The resulting clip is perfect.

v.2.5 is consistently reliable when replicating JPEGs and short clips on the timeline; later versions are not. 

eumagga0x2a

First of all, please ensure you test with the latest nightly (even if the latest nightly is currently missing a bunch of pretty important fixes), the 2.7.0 release is old, 2.5 is dead.

Apart from that, please provide the result of Step 1 as sample and the admlog.txt from the Step 2. It looks like you reencoded, it is irrelevant where the cuts were located then.

eumagga0x2a

By the way, "not responding" is not an error. The Avidemux log (%localappdata%\avidemux/admlog.txt) would allow to judge what is really going on here.

BG Davis

Thanks for your response.
How can I provide the results of Step 1?  The result was a short video clip and I find no way to attach it.

The incident I am reporting occurred with 2.7.0 (180114_e867d3a4642-fflibs 3.3.5).
These things happen as I am in the midst of projects; I don't always have time to report them instantly.

(BTW, 2.5 may be dead, but it still has design features and does things that later versions do not.)

eumagga0x2a

Please use a service like WeTransfer (no, you don't need to give WeTransfer an email address for that) and post the URL generated by the service to access the sample here. admlog.txt ist small enough to be attached here once compressed, especially when using 7z for that.

Many design features of 2.5 are incompatible with modern codecs and new possibilities like hardware accelerated decoding and encoding, this is the reason 2.6 was developed. The feature to export a selection as a set of images should be not too difficult to restore (it is basically still there, just disabled because parts of it didn't work).

BG Davis

Again, thanks for your responses.

I used a workaround - used "append" multiple times instead of copy/paste.  I also used v2.5 to copy/paste, then saved that and used it in v2.7.

Any re-encoding was done by v2.7 when I opened the cut clip.

I'm on to another project and the workaround got me through this one.  Thanks again!

eumagga0x2a

Indeed, pasting the same video which doesn't start at zero at the first frame results in a crash (pasting elsewhere, e.g. at the end is fine) because there is no keyframe in the first segment. Should be fixed by [editor] Fix crash saving video after pasting from clipboard to the first frame with a non-zero PTS.