Problem encoding of MTS files from Canon video camera using H.264/AVC

Started by Shotokan81, May 13, 2013, 04:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotokan81

Hi

Thank you for the work on avidemux, it is great to see a multi platform tool that allows users not to be tied to an OS.
This is much helpful.

I am using a Canon IVIS HF M51, Avidemux 2.5.4 on OSX 10.7.5.

I am trying to encode some MTS files using H.264/AVC format without changes.
The goal is ultimately to make some edits/including effects such as phase out, etc, with something as close as possible to lossless.
Strangely, 3 frames from the end of the video get close to the beginning in my short tests.

I guess this has to do with the initial warning message I get which is the same as this post:
http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php/topic,12044.msg62822.html#msg62822
unfortunately the solution suggested there is not straightforward for me as i did not find a 2.6 package for osx 10.7. I am not knowledgeable with macports or compiling, and i see people more knowledgeable that seem to struggle so i would rather stay away from this.

I also read the following from the wiki:
"2.4/2.5 handle frame ordering internally to provide the 100% frame seeking accuracy. But the reordering model of H.264 is too complicated, so in that case, accuracy is lost."

So my question is twofold:
- Is my problem a known issue of 2.5.4, and the root cause is the above quote from the wiki?
- Has anyone found a way of making this work in 2.5.4?

Thank you

Jan Gruuthuse

Very simplistic explanation 2.4 & 2.5 branches are frame editors, 2.6 is time based not handling frames as such. h264 is best handled by 2.6 branches 2.6.4 now.
Consider installing a second OS (ubuntu 12.04 LTS) either virtual or on a separate partition and have your mac dual boot.

If your interested and you have a good computer knowledge and have experience in installing: How to Dual Boot Linux on Your Mac and Take Back Your Powerhouse Apple Hardware
My guess you could try with a ubuntu live cd and see how it feels. Don't install, follow guide above or look for one that fit your hardware and os X

Shotokan81

Thank you, this answers my question, so 2.6.x seems to be the way forward.

The link is interesting. I am a bit concerned of playing with the bootloader, as other familly members use the computer, so if i mess it up and am unable to roll back, I would create a lot of inconvenience to them.

My experience with wine has not been very fruitful yet either.

As my problem becomes specific to an OS, I will look for answers or post in the osx forum.

Thank you

Jan Gruuthuse

Probably then not dual booting would be way the to go: How to Install & Run Ubuntu Linux in VirtualBox this installs ubuntu more like another software package within your os X.

Shotokan81

Thanks again,

Sounds like there is always a solution!

A good link, this seems to ensure this will keep my system safe.

I'll try my luck in the OSX forum before trying it, because I just read this on the wiki:
"The most recent stable version of Avidemux should be available in main Ubuntu apt-repositories."
Which if I am correct means that for a "normal user" (quoting the wiki), I would end up with the same version I have on my mac already by using Synaptic/KpackageKit, then meaning I would actually need to compile which I guess adds a layer of difficulty over homebrew;)

Anyway I will definitely keep this in mind as an option when looking for the most straightforward one.

Jan Gruuthuse

building on ubuntu is far less complicated, and you could use these: avidemux Cli/QT 2.6.4 64-bit deb download ubuntu
As I'm not a home in mac and os x, I forgot about this: osx sorry about that.

Shotokan81

Thank you

I tried the latest nightly in the osx folder, but it does not launch, maybe it is only for Montain Lion.

I started the homebrew method and I will see how far I can go, I am not able to say which one is easier, both seem complicated to me!

Thanks for your time on this one, I will refer to it if my homebrew attempt fails.

Shotokan81

This completely solved the problems.

The version 2.6.4 handles the MTS files very well as far as I can tell.

Very helpful, thank you for the efforts.