News:

--

Main Menu

Recoding WVC1 problem

Started by Krepax, January 15, 2015, 07:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krepax

It seems the current official build of Avidemux is unable to recode correctly videos compressed with the WVC1 codec (Windows Media Video Advanced Profile)

Every video I tried to convert results in a stuttering output. I'm aware some versions of lavcodec don't cope well with WVC1 videos, especially if they are interleaved. I tried with 25p and 29.97p videos both under MacOS and Windows 7 using the latest official release of Avidemux. I also tried the latest nightly build under Windows (dated 01/11/2015) but it crashes upon loading any WVC1 video returning error 0x31435657.

Oddly enough, both MplayerX, under MacOS, and VLC Player, under Windows, play these video correctly, with no stuttering at all (They also use lavcodec, right?)

If any good soul is willing to do some experimenting, a short sample video clip codec with WVC1 can be found here:
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/WVC1/ ( Test_1440x576_WVC1_6Mbps.wmv )

WVC1 is a little more obscure codec than WMV3/VC-1 and even Microsoft videoclips sample page doesn't have any last time I checked. I didn't have any problem converting VC-1 videos before with Avidemux, so I think the problem is only related to some specific implementation of the WVC1 decoder lib used in Avidemux.

Jan Gruuthuse

Don't know if the 3D stereoscopic footage has anything to do with it? There are according to avidemux 2.6.8 timing issues (time going backwards?)
I was able to re-encode to AVC in mkv container: find re-encoded video 1440x576wmvTest.mkv of source file Test_1440x576_WVC1_6Mbps
with avidemux 2.6.8 (commit ca38492), it's windows equivalent avidemux_r110115_97f6_win64.7z in http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/win64/

Krepax

First of all, thanks for having tried!  :)

I downloaded the file you encoded an it stutters, just like mine. In the original movie the train in the opening scene moves smoothly. Same for the old cars. The difference is even more obvious by playing the two clips side by side.

I can assure you that it isn't a matter of that video being stereoscopic -  I just couldn't find a sample clip small enough to post, since videos in this format are rare. I encountered similar problems with non stereoscopic videos of any framerate and size.

The crash issue may be unrelated though. I'm having some problems with the latest nightly build on the setup I'm using for testing it.