Combine JPEGs and MP4 video in timeline?

Started by BG Davis, May 18, 2016, 06:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG Davis

Avidemux allows for inserting JPEGs into the timeline.
Is there a way to combine one or more JPEGs and also a video in the timeline?
I tried various ways including Append the video on the timeline after the JPEGs (result = crash - data attached) and Paste (no result)

Thanks!

Jan Gruuthuse

Most likely:
Create video(s) sequence with jpg(s) in same video format (container + codec & frames & screensize) as the other video.
Then you could join the video(s).

BG Davis

Thanks,
I thought of that and it does work, but I was hoping to save that extra step.
Actually I tried several times and did get it to work (maybe the Avidemux program got tired of resisting? :>))
I made one serendipitous discovery along the way: when putting JPEGs into the timeline (to make a short video) you don't have to enter the JPEGs individually.

1. Get JPEGs into proper size (to match any video you might use) using FastStone.  Give them sequential names, in order.  FastStone will do this for you if you batch process.
2. Put JPEGs into a discrete folder.
3. Open Avidemux
4. Open folder [Ctrl-O]
5. Click on first JPEG in series.   Avidemux will install ALL JPEGs in the series to the timeline, in sequence. 

This saves a ton of labor and it's almost instantaneous.
I also used this method when I finally succeeded in Appending JPEGs to a video in the timeline.  Also Appended another video after the JPEGs.

This program is looking better and better to me.  (Still would like to have a way to Append audio tracks one after another, and to let ambient audio play with and / or after a music track.  I activate two tracks but only one functions.)

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: BG Davis on May 19, 2016, 03:34:11 AM
... >8 >8 (Still would like to have a way to Append audio tracks one after another, and to let ambient audio play with and / or after a music track.  I activate two tracks but only one functions.)
[v] activating = selecting the audio track to be included in the video container when saving the video clip. Having multiple audiotracks in a video allows you to select one audio track when playing the video.
Like French original audio or dubbed English, not both simultaneous!

BG Davis

BG Davis

For anyone else having problems with JPEG opening or appending, I offer the following:
After much trial and error I have come up with some findings.
ââ,¬Â¢   You can open a fairly large file, if it is a properly generated JPEG image.  So far a 9.9MB image was accepted.
ââ,¬Â¢   You can open a large (3546x3130) image, as long as it is a proper JPEG.  It will retain its original aspect ratio if you replicate it and save the result as a video.
ââ,¬Â¢   JPEG frame saves (from video) are routinely rejected.  SOLUTION: either edit (with FastStone or some other editor) and Save As JPEG (or PNG or BMP), or re-save the rejected JPEG as TIFF, then re-save it back to JPEG again.
ââ,¬Â¢   A JPEG image file may be rejected due to some unknown reason.  SOLUTION: either edit (with FastStone or other editor) and Save as JPEG (or PNG or BMP), or re-save the rejected JPEG as TIFF, then re-save it back to JPEG again.
ââ,¬Â¢   PNG images are accepted.  TIFF and GIF images are not accepted.
ââ,¬Â¢   BMP (bitmap) frame saves and images are accepted, but they open upside down.   SOLUTION: Edit>Transform>Flip