Couple of quick questions from a first time user

Started by jcg, July 22, 2016, 03:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcg

I just downloaded 2.6.12 and am trying to do a couple quick edits. I have a .mkv movie that I also converted to .avi format and wanted to edit out a small clip. The original .mkv has subtitles embeded in the video, so when I made the .avi from the .mkv it also has embeded subtitles (no .sub file). I did the edits to the .avi version and it seemed to work fine, and subtitles still work. Using VLC to play the files.

When I edit the .mkv version I don't get the subtitles??? Any ideas? I also have the original .m2ts file muxed off of the the movie disk. Maybe there is a way to edit that directly so subtitles will be saved and then I can reencode the .m2ts back to .mkv? Or any other way to make this work is fine.

jcg

Jan Gruuthuse

Avidemux does not handle subtitle stream, for now. It can only hard code subtitle into video picture
Load video file into mkvtoolnix gui and extract the subtitle stream.
If you need to modify subtitle, due to edit, use subtitle editor like Aegisub
You can replace/ reinsert modified subtitle using mkvtoolnix gui (drag and drop)

Khun_Doug

Jcg, please also keep in mind that AVI does not support subtitles that can be selected or deselected. To get external subtitles with an AVI you need a matching subtitle file, for example the name of the AVI but that has a .srt extension. MKV files support subtitles that can be selected and deselected.

Jan Gruuthuse

The current advise is to stay away from .avi (over aged container) that does not work well with the newer codecs like h264, ...
Quote from: mean on June 28, 2016, 10:54:13 AM
Bottom line : dont put h264 in avi, it's a very bad idea

ps.: Avi is out of my mind, ages since I used this as output container.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on July 22, 2016, 05:46:03 AM
The current advise is to stay away from .avi (over aged container) that does not work well with the newer codecs like h264, ...
[...]

ps.: Avi is out of my mind, ages since I used this as output container.

While current git builds allow to save some settings like the preferred output container, Avidemux still defaults to AVI (and reverts by default to AVI when restarted). Are there any plans to change that to e.g. MKV?

Jan Gruuthuse

Select your preferred Output Format, then
Avidemux Menu -> Edit -> Save current settings as default.
Net time you startup Avidemux it will have the selected Outputformat like MKV, ....

eumagga0x2a

I know. My suggestion was to change the initial default as AVI is almost of no use nowadays.

BTW, the latest release (2.6.12) doesn't have this feature yet and always reverts to AVI upon restart.

Jan Gruuthuse

eumagga0x2a

Thank you, I'm on Linux (Fedora 24) and build my Avidemux binaries from the git if necessary. I actually didn't mean myself personally but rather other Fedora users who have to rely mostly on packages provided by rpmfusion.org which are built from the officially released tarballs.

jcg

Can I edit a .mt2s file with avidemux? I know it would be a large file ~25G. If so this would keep the video and subtitles in sync and then I could just reencode the .m2ts to .mkv.

I already use tsmuxer so can I just use that to extract the subtitle stream? I guess the question regarding below is if I edit the .mkv, and then have an extracted subtitle stream they will be out of sync. It seems difficult to edit the stream to cut it at the same place the mkv got cut?? Or I could get an external subtitle file (.srt?) from a site like subscene and I believe those are just text files so I could just search for the first / last subtitle from where I did the cut on the .mkv and just remove those? That seems like an easy solution, thoughts?

Lastly is avidemux going to support subtitles enbedded in .mkv anytime soon? Other than this issue it was an easy program to use.

jcg

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on July 22, 2016, 04:31:19 AM
Avidemux does not handle subtitle stream, for now. It can only hard code subtitle into video picture
Load video file into mkvtoolnix gui and extract the subtitle stream.
If you need to modify subtitle, due to edit, use subtitle editor like Aegisub
You can replace/ reinsert modified subtitle using mkvtoolnix gui (drag and drop)

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: jcg on July 22, 2016, 03:09:58 PM
Can I edit a .mt2s file with avidemux? I know it would be a large file ~25G.
Yes, this should work
QuoteIf so this would keep the video and subtitles in sync and then I could just reencode the .m2ts to .mkv.
No this will not work, the moment you load and save video in avidemux: any subtitle stream in the video is lost.
QuoteI already use tsmuxer so can I just use that to extract the subtitle stream?
Probably, if the option is there.
QuoteI guess the question regarding below is if I edit the .mkv, and then have an extracted subtitle stream they will be out of sync. It seems difficult to edit the stream to cut it at the same place the mkv got cut?? Or I could get an external subtitle file (.srt?) from a site like subscene and I believe those are just text files so I could just search for the first / last subtitle from where I did the cut on the .mkv and just remove those? That seems like an easy solution, thoughts?

Load the edited video in to Aegisub with the extracted subtitle stream.
You then can edit the subtitles and adjust timings
link to Aegisub

Can't answer on any developer related questions. I'm just a user.

jcg

OK I decided to just edit the .srt file I got off subscene. Since I just had a small 2 minute cut out of the .mkv movie, it was very easy to just delete the subtitles from the cut portion, and then just retime the remaining subtitles using Subtitle Workshop which I already had installed. Easy workaround and only took a few minutes, but it would sure be nice if they just added subtitle support to avidemux.