News:

--

Main Menu

DNxHD support.

Started by fish, January 23, 2019, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish

I have just noticed when messing around with the nightly of 190118 (I usually stick with the main release) that Avidemux now decodes DNxHD. It can be edited and saved, in copy mode, if an MKV, AVI or RAW container is used.  One strange thing is that a mp4 container cannot be used, strange because I thought an mp4 container was the obvious choice, as an MXF or Quicktime container is usually used with this codec.
Is this capability by design or is it a by-product of something else?

Edit. DNxHD can be re-encoded to a mp4 container and I'm guessing simply changing the extension will make a copy mode edit usable.

eumagga0x2a

This codec is not supported in mp4, at least not by libavformat Avidemux relies upon. It can be muxed into the QuickTime container (mov), but Avidemux doesn't have a MOV muxer.

Actually, it works when encoding to mov and saving using ffmpeg in copy mode to mp4. Maybe later.

eumagga0x2a

QuoteIt can be edited and saved, in copy mode, if an MKV, AVI or RAW container is used.

Don't use MKV. It doesn't work right. While ffplay and mplayer manage to play the resulting file, vlc, mpv and Avidemux can't handle it.

libavformat rejects the codec, so no saving to MP4 in Avidemux.

fish

libavformat rejects the codec, so no saving to MP4 in Avidemux.
[/quote]

But I've just done it, twice, using  'avidemux_r190118_win64Qt5_18', I used x264 and also had re-encode the audio in order to do it, otherwise I got the 'Unsupported' message and 'ONLY AAC, AC3, E-AC3 AND MEGAUDIO SUPPORTED FOR AUDIO', so I used AAC(FDK).

P.S. I meant after performing a copy mode edit to MKV, AVI or RAW container, simply changing the extension to .mov might make the file usable.

eumagga0x2a

No one speaks about H.264. You refered to saving dnxhd in copy mode, that is why I noted that it is a bad idea to use MKV for that.

Changing file extension changes nothing apart from making file managers trusting file name extensions to determine file types to pass them to a different software.

fish

Indeed, Media Composer didn't like the file saved with the AVI container, it loaded but displayed only black and wouldn't load the file with the extension changed to mov. Oh well, it kept me out of mischief for a few minutes...