News:

--

Main Menu

Compiling on aarch64?

Started by pchristy, April 07, 2021, 02:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pchristy

OK, I appreciate this is an odd one! I've been using avidemux for ages on x86(_64) systems, but for Xmas my son bought me a Pi 400 to play with.

I've install Slarm64-current on it (an unofficial port of Slackware64-current) as Slackware64-current is my main OS.

I've managed to compile ffmpeg, vlc and kaffeine on it, but have an odd problem with avidemux: I can't output mpeg-ps streams! It tells me the muxer is not available, although it is in the drop down menus.

Initially, I had the same problem with matroska and mpeg-ts, which I got around by installing libmatroska and libdvbpsi. There must be a library I'm missing to enable mpeg-ps, but I can't figure out what it is!

Libmpeg2 is perhaps a possibility, but it doesn't seem to have been updated in years, and won't compile on aarch64. From the documentation, that only appears to be a codec rather than a (de-)muxer anyway - unless someone can tell me different?

The thing is that my ffmpeg compilation has no problems outputting mpeg-ps files, so I am at a loss as to why avidemux cannot.

Any pointers gratefully received!

--
Pete
--
Pete

eumagga0x2a

Are you building off the git master?

Quote from: pchristy on April 07, 2021, 02:41:19 PMInitially, I had the same problem with matroska and mpeg-ts, which I got around by installing libmatroska and libdvbpsi.

Neither of the two has any relevance to Avidemux.

QuoteThere must be a library I'm missing to enable mpeg-ps, but I can't figure out what it is!

The MPEG-PS muxer functionality is provided by the internal libavformat (a part of the FFmpeg bundled with Avidemux). Running Avidemux executable from the command line should reveal related errors.

pchristy

Sorry, should have said! No, not compiling from git, but from 2.7.8 release.

Yes, I thought avidemux used its own internal libavformat, which is why I was surprised when it failed when my own ffmpeg worked fine. I've never run into this on x86(_64) and am new to ARM, so still learning!

I'll have a go from the command line and see what it says...
--
Pete

pchristy

OK, think I've sussed the problem! It wasn't directly the mpeg-ps muxer, it didn't like the picture format being non-DVD compliant!

I'd recorded some stuff "off air" which came in as .ts files. Here in the UK, the lesser known channels try and save on bandwidth by using a low horizontal resolution - typically 544x576 instead of the more usual 720 or 704x576 - even though the aspect ratio is still 16x9!

Yes, I know, yuch!

Once I made a test recording of one of the main channels at normal resolution, everything worked!

But as a bonus, my slackbuild script - with a minor tweak for aarch64 - has produced a fully working avidemux on the Pi 400!

;D

Mea culpa! Sorry for the "noise!  ;)
--
Pete

eumagga0x2a

Glad it works for you now. No problem with "noise", but quoting the actual error message instead of

Quote from: pchristy on April 07, 2021, 02:41:19 PMI can't output mpeg-ps streams! It tells me the muxer is not available

would have allowed to assess the problem on the spot :-)

Quote from: pchristy on April 07, 2021, 03:56:26 PMnot compiling from git, but from 2.7.8 release.

As always, the current git has fixes for a couple of issues which were discovered only post-release (nothing even near as grave as in 2.7.6, but still). Additionally, it offers a whole lot of new filters contributed by szlldm.

pchristy

Noted!  ;)

I'm not sat in front of it at the moment, but as I recall, when I tried to save a file with the mpeg-ps muxer selected, it simply opened a box which contained the phrase "Muxer not available".

Anyway, all sorted now, and thanks again!
--
Pete