Started by lewtwo, January 03, 2022, 05:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewtwo

What is the difference between the app images:
Linux 64, Universal binaries
and
Linux 64, Universal binaries for old systems

lewtwo

Seems it does not matter. I can not get either one to run.
  Release Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 64-bit
  Kernel Linux 5.4.0-91-generic x86_64
  MATE 1.22.0

I get a problem with:
Using system libvdpau.
/tmp/.mount_avidemyoAnyr/usr/bin/avidemux3_qt5: error while loading shared libraries: libpcre2-16.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I managed to find that and installed it via Synaptic Package Manager

Then I got this error which I have not resolved:
Using system libvdpau.
/tmp/.mount_avidemWQYXJV/usr/bin/avidemux3_qt5: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_avidemWQYXJV/usr/lib/libADM6avutil.so.56)
/tmp/.mount_avidemWQYXJV/usr/bin/avidemux3_qt5: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_avidemWQYXJV/usr/lib/qt5/libQt5Core.so.5)

I will try the appimages on:
  Release Linux Mint 20.2 Uma 64-bit
  Kernel Linux 5.4.0-91-generic x86_64
  MATE 1.24.0
That seems to work: Linux 64, Universal binaries

I have it running on a Windows 10 box where it works very well.

eumagga0x2a

Nightlies from the appImage4Buster directory have that GLIBC_2.28 substring in their filename, stripped from the appImage uploaded to hoster. It means, that they need glibc (libc6 on Debian derivatives) at version 2.28 or newer.

Users of ancient systems with an older glibc have to resort to legacy appImage, which provides a more limited subset of Avidemux functionality.

Don't try the legacy appImage on not so ancient systems (from Debian 10 on) and vice versa, don't try the appImage requiring glibc at 2.28 on Linux from the middle ages.