--

Main Menu

'Mark cut points' feature in 2.8.0

Started by Romanito, February 08, 2022, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romanito

Hi,
from the change log for version 2.8.0:
QuoteMark cut points (segment boundaries) on the navigation slider. New buttons and shortcuts are provided to jump to these cut points.

I can see the new buttons, but how do I add cut points? I'm only used to markers A and B, are these a different way of cutting videos?

Thanks.

Who

Let's say you set an A marker and a B marker and then hit the Delete key or use the Delete item from the Edit dropdown menu - that will delete everything between those two markers, and the point at which you made that deletion is a cut point.  You can use the buttons to navigate between cut points, and there should also be vertical red lines on the slider showing where the cut points are.

The only real use I've had for this feature is it aids in making sure that I actually cut what I wanted to cut at each point, not more or less.  I suppose it would also be helpful if you wanted to do an insertion of new material at that point, but I have found that when I attempt to do an insertion (such as by appending another file and then copy-pasting it), more often than not Avidemux crashes.  Sometimes this is because I forget that I have cropped the original material so now the dimensions don't match, but sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason.  Probably something that has been fixed in a nightly but I can't try that until they release a new MacOS Catalina nightly.

eumagga0x2a

The crashes of the 2.8.0 release version happen when a selection extending to the end of the video is copied to the clipboard. The severe bug, affecting all platforms, was noticed only once the release was out and immediately fixed in the code. I'm sorry for inconvenience.

Compiling Avidemux on macOS: https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,19778.msg93284.html

szlldm

Currently cut points are automatically generated, when you delete a section, append a video, or cut a section and then paste elswhere. A function to manually add cut point would be very useful, but unfortunatelly it is not available yet.
These cut points are very helpful, when you first cut the video then apply partial filters, so you know and see on the navigation bar where the boundaries supposed to be.

Who

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on February 08, 2022, 08:49:12 PMCompiling Avidemux on macOS: https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php/topic,19778.msg93284.html
Not in my wheelhouse.  What I don't understand is why, when a new nightly is released, most of the time you only release Windows and Linux versions but not a MacOS version.  I would think the Linux people would be somewhat more accustomed to building software.  Part of the reason I use a Mac for my desktop system, and not Linux, is so I don't need to attempt things like that, which for me seems to have a much greater chance of screwing up my entire system than accomplishing any desired result.

eumagga0x2a

Romanito