News:

--

Main Menu

BUG: can't open files from read-only directory

Started by KotCzarny, August 05, 2022, 10:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KotCzarny

latest 2.8.0 for windows. when trying to open file on read-only dir (network share), avidemux says it cannot create index (.idx2) and bombs out.

possible solutions to implement:
1/ make the file openable without writing index to disk
2/ allow user set the directory where indexes should be stored

it would be nice to have both prefs available, because on one machine i only have to open file only once, so saving index is pointless and requires manual clean-up, and on the other i do the editing of other files

eumagga0x2a

Since at least a decade, this is a known limitation of MpegTS and MpegPS demuxers in Avidemux with (1) being the preferred solution for a future fix. Don't expect it to be in 2.8.1, but it will be hopefully tackled in the 2.8.2 development cycle.

Quote from: KotCzarny on August 05, 2022, 10:44:41 AMlatest 2.8.0

2.8.0 is very old, please use a recent 2.8.1 nightly for stability, new features and numerous bugfixes. However, this particular limitation exists there too, of course.

KotCzarny

great news, shall i make a ticket somehwere? and seeing 2.8.1 not released for so long, it seems i will have to work around it somehow for the next few months

KotCzarny

quick question, what would be cmdline if i would like avidemux (linux) run over the files to reindex them on the remote site, so the local avidemux (windows) wouldnt have to reindex? is that even possible/feasible?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: KotCzarny on August 05, 2022, 03:11:50 PMis that even possible/feasible?

I'd say yes as the (absolute) path to the video in the *.idx2 file is not evaluated, the only thing which matters is the basename of the index file.

Quote from: KotCzarny on August 05, 2022, 03:11:50 PMwhat would be cmdline if i would like avidemux (linux) run over the files to reindex them on the remote site

If you can install avidemux on the system local to the MPEG-TS or -PS files, you could just do

avidemux3_cli --load /path/to/video/file --quit
(--load is optional, the first argument is always interpreted as the path to input file if it is not preceded by an option) within a shell script.

If you want to index remote files accessible over network using a local Avidemux executable, I don't think this is a good idea.

KotCzarny

thanks for the help! as for the 'remote' part, it's not a problem since it's fast enough network share (100Mbit)