News:

--

Main Menu

Support for audio-only containers

Started by yawfle, October 12, 2022, 12:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yawfle

I hope this isn't the wrong place for feature requests. I have been using 2.8 builds for doing lossless editing of mp4 files, and very much appreciate this feature. Now that I'm comfortable with the workflow, I have been wishing I could use the same interface for lossless trimming of m4a audio by itself, without video. It seems like a natural feature for avidemux, since all the parts are already implemented, and hopefully wouldn't be a difficult thing to enable. Is that a reasonable request?  :D

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: yawfle on October 12, 2022, 12:33:58 AMI hope this isn't the wrong place for feature requests.

I don't think it fits here, but that is not a big deal, splitting a topic is not hard :-)

Quote from: yawfle on October 12, 2022, 12:33:58 AMNow that I'm comfortable with the workflow, I have been wishing I could use the same interface for lossless trimming of m4a audio by itself, without video. It seems like a natural feature for avidemux, since all the parts are already implemented

Quite the opposite, the application would need to be effectively rewritten for that to become possible. There is zero support for audio-only editing at the moment.

yawfle

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on October 12, 2022, 07:41:39 AMQuite the opposite, the application would need to be effectively rewritten for that to become possible. There is zero support for audio-only editing at the moment.
Fair enough, I haven't looked at the code, I was just thinking of the gui as a nice way of passing parameters to underlying engines which *do* support audio containers (and avidemux is obviously capable of importing these formats). Feel free to nuke this topic or move it to wherever it belongs.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: yawfle on October 12, 2022, 04:26:22 PMavidemux is obviously capable of importing these formats

Raw: yes. In a container: no (not yet, at least).

yawfle

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on October 13, 2022, 09:50:23 PMRaw: yes. In a container: no (not yet, at least).
I guess I was (wrongly) assuming that audio-only mp4 wasn't really different to handle than files with video. Even just being able to import, cut, and export raw AAC would be nice, but I understand that this would probably be considered a "fringe" feature.

Elstar`

It can export raw aac. Would be great if it could be able to at least import (as track)/export m4a too...