Drag & Drop not working fresh install Windows 11

Started by Grumpycats, October 30, 2022, 08:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpycats

I've been using avidemux in windows 10 for past few years and im used to drag & dropping files into the avidemux window, but after a fresh install of windows 11 (new PC) when I drag a file it just sits over the avidemux window but won't drop, if I choose Run as admin it shows a red stop icon when attempting to drag files into the window, running version 2.8.1 from avidemux website.

I attached a screenshot showing the behavior, this is after releasing left mouse button, also noticed when moving mouse around in the window its very choppy while attempting to drop file.

drag & drop seems to work fine in other apps including this forum when attaching the screenshot I dragged it over.

I would've stayed in Win 10 but it's a 13th gen intel cpu and apparently they work better in 11  ::)

Thanks!

You cannot view this attachment.

eumagga0x2a

Do MinGW builds (those from the "win64" directory rather than VC++ from the "vsWin64" one) behave the same?

It looks like I'll have to find a possibility to test on Windows 11 myself. Currently, there is none (and hardly any spare time for the project in general, unfortunately).

Unrelated to this issue, probably specific to Windows 11, I strongly recommend upgrading to most recent 2.8.2 nightly builds — either compiled with VC++ or with MinGW — as they fix a hard crash discovered only after 2.8.1 had been released.

Grumpycats

I tried the latest nightly builds of both and noticed with either one it will randomly drag & drop properly, if a file wont drop on first try I can retry dragging again and it might work the 2nd or 3rd time so at least it sort of works, everything else with the program seems to be working properly so far, Thanks for the reply!

eumagga0x2a

Could you please pay attention where the focus in Avidemux window is before you start dragging a file?

I might imagine that in case when either the audio shift spinbox or the time display gets focus, the drag & drop behavior might be different. Pressing the tab key or clicking into Avidemux window outside of those widgets should move focus out these "traps".

Grumpycats

Do you mean how the avidemux title bar will show light grey vs. bold as I drag the file? It always goes bold soon as the dragged file touches avidemux's window frame, I also tried dragging with file explorer on the right side of avidemux so nothing gets in the way during a drag but it still randomly gets stuck when dropping.

It seems to be more successful if I click to drag and wait for the preview of the file to appear in the square before dragging, I just know in Win 10 I can drag right away and it was never an issue, I wonder if it has anything to do with 12th/13th gen Intel CPU's being they run 2 different sets of cores. I was running another CPU in Win 10 (i7 8700K & now i5 13600K w/ Win 11) so not sure which is the culprit.

So far everything else has been working correctly for me in Win 11.

Thanks again.

Grumpycats

Out of curiosity I installed the latest VLC player and started dragging files over, close video, drag another, kept doing this and after the 6th drag it got stuck in the same fashion as avidemux so this is apparently not avidemux related, my apologies I should've tried something like this before posting here I'll have to see what I can figure out!   

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: Grumpycats on November 02, 2022, 11:54:25 PMDo you mean how the avidemux title bar will show light grey vs. bold as I drag the file?

No.

1. Click into the spinbox to set audio delay or click into the time display

2. Try to drag and drop a file onto Avidemux window

3. Click on the empty space in Avidemux window where usually video is displayed

4. Try to drag and drop a file onto Avidemux window

Do you get same results for 2 and 4?

Grumpycats

Seems like such a random issue I can't figure out any pattern, when testing your methods 2 & 4 tonight at first everything was dragging fine but eventually I got a file to get stuck with each method, like one out of 7 drags would fail or sometimes it would decide to get stuck almost every drag, but same thing happens when just dragging onto avidemux window normally.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for testing. It looks indeed like the problem is not related to known issues with focus in Avidemux window.