News:

--

Main Menu

Can't build MSX for Windows

Started by builderman, April 12, 2023, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

builderman

After running the mxe-setup.sh script for almost 2 hours, it failed trying to pull a BZ2 file.

Here is the bash log:

https://pastebin.com/SQppdE6m

And here is the meson-log:

https://pastebin.com/wgRSCsv7

eumagga0x2a

At a glance, the logs tell that meson (I'm not sure it was used back then, may have been introduced later by MXE) fails to download pcre tarball from the URL(s) it knows. This causes the subsequent failure to build glib. Not your or our fault.

builderman

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 12, 2023, 06:27:40 PMAt a glance, the logs tell that meson (I'm not sure it was used back then, may have been introduced later by MXE) fails to download pcre tarball from the URL(s) it knows. This causes the subsequent failure to build glib. Not your or our fault.
https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/2875

Seems to be a (known?) issue with MXE not being able to grab it. Not sure if it was Ubuntu specific, but the guy at the bottom posted a solution.

eumagga0x2a

Thank you for doing the research. To sum it up, the list of requirements published on the MXE website is incomplete and, in case of Debian derivatives, should include libpcre3-dev package to avoid triggering a bug in some Makefile which tries to access network to download stuff at build time.

Can you please confirm that installing libpcre3-dev has been sufficient for MXE build to succeed on your system?

builderman

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on April 12, 2023, 10:38:06 PMThank you for doing the research. To sum it up, the list of requirements published on the MXE website is incomplete and, in case of Debian derivatives, should include libpcre3-dev package to avoid triggering a bug in some Makefile which tries to access network to download stuff at build time.

Can you please confirm that installing libpcre3-dev has been sufficient for MXE build to succeed on your system?
Yes, after I installed the libpcre3-dev package from apt, I was able to do a full MXE build. Although it took 7 hours to complete.  :-\

I also had to install libass-dev manually, otherwise the Linux build would fail. Not sure if that's something that needs to be added to the list of dependencies.

The Windows build is failing, but I can't determine why. This is all it says in the terminal:

-- Build files have been written to: /home/addmin/Desktop/Build/avidemux2/buildMingwPluginsCommon-x86_64
** Failed at make, result in /tmp/logbuildMingwPluginsCommon-x86_64  **

In the file it says:

make: *** [Makefile:139: all] Error 2
And in the makefile on line 139 it says:

$(MAKE) $(MAKESILENT) -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 all
Which is of no help. This is why I can't stand these Linux hackerman projects. It's such a massive pain in the ass to do literally anything. I've been working on this for 3 days now trying to get this to build, yet I pull down any Visual Studio project, and it always works fine first try. Linux is worthless.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: builderman on April 13, 2023, 01:40:40 PMI also had to install libass-dev manually, otherwise the Linux build would fail.

Did you request --with-system-libass (which is a good idea anyway as the internal one doesn't work well) or has the internal libass ceased to compile?

Quote from: builderman on April 13, 2023, 01:40:40 PMNot sure if that's something that needs to be added to the list of dependencies.

I'll take care of that. It belongs into create*FromSource*.bash scripts with a meaningful notice in the bootstrap script.

Quote from: builderman on April 13, 2023, 01:40:40 PMThe Windows build is failing, but I can't determine why. This is all it says in the terminal:

-- Build files have been written to: /home/addmin/Desktop/Build/avidemux2/buildMingwPluginsCommon-x86_64
** Failed at make, result in /tmp/logbuildMingwPluginsCommon-x86_64  **

In the file it says:

make: *** [Makefile:139: all] Error 2

The actual error must have happened much earlier.

Quote from: builderman on April 13, 2023, 01:40:40 PMyet I pull down any Visual Studio project, and it always works fine first try.

It would be fantastic if you could implement and document build setup of Avidemux in MSVC, I cannot figure out how to do it since years (especially as cross-compiling in MXE is so much easier, despite occasional pains).

I'll test recreating my MXE from scratch ASAP, it takes a full day on my hardware, unfortunately.

eumagga0x2a

Confirming linker failure for fluxSmooth and ivtcDupeRemover video filters with the updated gcc in MXE, please disable these filters in avidemux_plugins/ADM_videoFilters6/CMakeLists.txt as a workaround for now.

eumagga0x2a

It looks like Qt5 libraries in the refreshed MXE now depend on icu, so please apply

diff --git a/bootStrapCrossMingwQt5_mxe.sh b/bootStrapCrossMingwQt5_mxe.sh
index 9c4d3805d..0f19a7421 100644
--- a/bootStrapCrossMingwQt5_mxe.sh
+++ b/bootStrapCrossMingwQt5_mxe.sh
@@ -220,6 +220,9 @@ create_release_package()
         cp -v libmad-*.dll $TARGETDIR
     fi
     cp -v \
+    icudt66.dll \
+    icuin66.dll \
+    icuuc66.dll \
     libaom.dll \
     libbz2.dll \
     libcrypto-*.dll \

for now as this change has not been pushed to the repository yet.