News:

--

Main Menu

Recently used file select option

Started by divvid, June 23, 2023, 07:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

divvid

Hello,

I'm using v2.6.12, on linux, and the file open offers "Recently Used". But when I try a more recent
version, via appImage format, this option isn't available. I've tried searching to find when this
changed, but no luck so far. Any advice would be appreciated.

eumagga0x2a

To get a native file dialog (which may include "recently used"), you need to build Avidemux from source. In spite of presence of Qt platform plugins in appImage, Qt there seems to be able to use only its built-in file dialog which lacks this feature.

Quote from: divvid on June 23, 2023, 07:22:43 PMI'm using v2.6.12, on linux

How comes? This version is outright ancient.

divvid

How come I'm using such an ancient version...precisely because it's the last one I can find with the
useful open "Recently Used" functionality. I'm surprised if I'm the only user that finds it useful.

Anyway, I'll have a look at compiling...if I can find the QT source that provides such a function. Cheers.

eumagga0x2a

Again, by default, Qt uses the native file dialog, which may (or may not) provide easy access to the undoubtedly very useful list of recently used files. For some reason, the official appImage falls back to the more limited built-in file dialog without this feature. Maybe we need to include matching Qt plugins called "platformthemes" too, which might help with GTK+ (gtk3) integration.

Quote from: divvid on June 24, 2023, 03:14:59 AMI'll have a look at compiling...if I can find the QT source that provides such a function.

You don't need to look for Qt sources, you need to build Avidemux from source in order to have a binary which uses Qt libraries present on your system. Do not build against Qt6 though, there are currently big problems with versions >= 6.4.0 (OpenGL support totally broken).

My Avidemux builds open the normal GTK4 file dialog with all bells and whistles.

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on June 24, 2023, 11:09:42 AMMaybe we need to include matching Qt plugins called "platformthemes" too, which might help with GTK+ (gtk3) integration.

Indeed, this was the reason. Future official Avidemux appImages for recent Linux distributions will open native file dialogs on GNOME and in other GTK-based desktop environments: [appImage] Package Qt platformtheme plugins too.