Feature Request - Refresh button to reload fmp4 file.

Started by Tony Mah, July 24, 2023, 07:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Mah

I am playing with OBS FMP4 recording format. I discovered that I could open the FMP4 in Avidemux while it was still recording and edit the file. I can open the same file again and it will open to the latest recording time for more editing. To edit short sports hilights to social media quickly it will be good it have a button to reload the fmp4 file.

To reproduce
1. Set OBS to record FMP4 and start recording
2. Open FMP4 with Avidemux
3. Edit edit clip and save
4. Open the same file and continue to edit.

If there was a button to reload the file it would be so much faster.

The ideal would be full support for growing file editing.

Tony

szlldm

Try:
-close video (Ctrl+W)
-Recent menu/Restore previous session

eumagga0x2a

If you run Windows, Avidemux log file admlog.txt located in %localappdata%\avidemux (accessible also from the "Help" --> "Advanced" menu within Avidemux) after loading that FMP4 file would tell us which demuxer in Avidemux is handling it. All further considerations depend on this info, like in case it is in reality a MPEG-TS stream, you would need to move or delete the *.idx2 file while the file is not open in Avidemux to let the latter re-index the stream.

Quote from: Tony Mah on July 24, 2023, 07:47:50 AMThe ideal would be full support for growing file editing.

Fundamentally impossible on Windows AFAIK.

Regarding reload button, Avidemux is designed to operate on multiple appended (compatible) videos, with different segments in arbitrary order referencing different videos. I have no idea how this can be compatible with reloading individual reference videos.

Tony Mah

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on July 24, 2023, 12:05:28 PMIf you run Windows, Avidemux log file admlog.txt located in %localappdata%\avidemux (accessible also from the "Help" --> "Advanced" menu within Avidemux) after loading that FMP4 file would tell us which demuxer in Avidemux is handling it. All further considerations depend on this info, like in case it is in reality a MPEG-TS stream, you would need to move or delete the *.idx2 file while the file is not open in Avidemux to let the latter re-index the stream.

Quote from: Tony Mah on July 24, 2023, 07:47:50 AMThe ideal would be full support for growing file editing.

Fundamentally impossible on Windows AFAIK.

Regarding reload button, Avidemux is designed to operate on multiple appended (compatible) videos, with different segments in arbitrary order referencing different videos. I have no idea how this can be compatible with reloading individual reference videos.

I understand what you are saying about Windows. Some how Premiere for windows supports growing file edit with auto refresh, and I don't know how they do it.

Avid Media Composer offers only a simple refresh button on one file and this is what I was asking for.
Right now if I click > file >open> pick the same file, Avidemux will reindex the file. A button on the toolbar that can do that is all I am asking for. Yes, there needs to be some login to disable the refresh button if there are more than 1 file used. That is something I didn't think about until now.

Thanks for your consideration.

sark

If the method szlldm suggested works, it would have been possible to create a simple self executing autohotkey script. This would allow multiple keystrokes to be run from a single key. This would make more sense than a button for something relatively niche. Unfortunately, there is no keystroke for Restore previous session. Strange considering the Clear recent files list has one. Which is barely necessary.
If this is of interest as a compromise, a shortcut key for Restore previous session would be a more realistic request than your initial suggestion.

Incidentally, Autohotkey can also automate the single keystroke to be applied periodically. Effectively akin to auto refresh.

Tony Mah

The method szlldm suggested works!

So my request is a shortcut for Restore previous session!

How does this request get approved? Do I have to make a donation?

Thanks,

Tony

sark

Quote from: Tony Mah on July 30, 2023, 04:13:08 AMHow does this request get approved? Do I have to make a donation?

User interface and Userabilty

I don't believe donations are being requested, or accepted at the moment.

Post in the suggested forum, and you may get a response as to whever this is likely to be implemented in a future release, or not.