News:

--

Main Menu

Forum does not allow posts with URL

Started by alexstorm, August 01, 2023, 03:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexstorm

Normal URL listing by text is broken on this forum.

I tried listing this link in answer to another forum post.  The normal URL is blocked with an error.

https colon slash slash docs dot fileformat dot com slash video slash idx slash

sark

https://docs.fileformat.com/video/idx/

Is it a clean talk error. This has been a long term issue. I'm often limited to posting via mobile only, regardless of content, but certain types of content seem to trigger blocking a post more frequently.
IP address is also a big factor for me. Tha fact that I can post your link may confirm this is the issue. Although the reasons don' t always make much sense.

eumagga0x2a

Please clarify the context and also why posting this link should be relevant for Avidemux.

alexstorm

There was a question about the IDX file format and the link I mentioned above is the info page on IDX files.  To me it seemed appropriate.  I think the forum suffers if all links are locked out and there is no casual image upload.  You have to first put an image somewhere online.

I know the extra effort it takes to police and review bad forum postings.  Perhaps there is a different approach to handle spam stuff.  Right now, these limits sort of make the forum not that friendly and I think it shows in the number of postings between users.  Eventually, a non-popular forum lowers the value of the brand and that takes away the user base.

eumagga0x2a

No, there wasn't any question about idx file format, there was a question about the purpose of idx2 index files created by Avidemux. Therefore the link you tried to post was not related to Avidemux, which raised my question.

sark

Quote from: alexstorm on August 03, 2023, 04:39:25 PMRight now, these limits sort of make the forum not that friendly and I think it shows in the number of postings between users.

Firstly, the moderators here have only limited control over the forum board.

Secondly, the lack of user contributions is a common trait across similar forums these days. VideoHelps General discussion recieves barely a handful of new threads a week. Doom9 averages three a week. I occasionally view the SuperUser ffmpeg topic. When I was learning this program, if you didn't get a response within a few hours your post would be pushed to the second page. Today, the same post can appear at the top of the list for several days.

The Avidemux forum serves a single application. It is not going to be bursting at the seams with new posts, not these days. I don't believe any of this has anything to do with unfriendliness. It is just the way of things.

alexstorm

I tried another link and now it works.  It seems like it was a temporary issue.  Thanks.