Which filter to remove stuttering? Interpolate and insert additional frames?

Started by thoste, September 24, 2023, 07:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoste

My Samsung Smartphone creates videos with brilliant colors and sharpness but which stutter when I move the camera around in landscape. Most probably the internal CPU is not able to process the recording in real-time.

Is there a way to "repair" this afterwards in Avidemux?

I can imagine that there is a filter which interpolate the changes between two (key) frames and inserts additional  frames which let the video appear more smooth and fluent.

How can I achieve this?

szlldm

If the stuttering means missing frames (variable frame rate),
then you can try "Resample FPS" with motion interpolation (or blend interpolation).
If the stuttering means duplicated frames, you need to remove those first; use the "Decimate" filter. After the duplicates have been removed, use the "Resample FPS" filter.

sark

Quote from: thoste on September 24, 2023, 07:48:34 AMMy Samsung Smartphone creates videos with brilliant colors and sharpness but which stutter when I move the camera around in landscape.
Quote from: szlldm on September 24, 2023, 08:34:19 AMIf the stuttering means missing frames (variable frame rate),
then you can try "Resample FPS" with motion interpolation (or blend interpolation).
If the stuttering means duplicated frames, you need to remove those first; use the "Decimate" filter. After the duplicates have been removed, use the "Resample FPS" filter.

Also, read.

https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed

eumagga0x2a

At a guess, you see image stabilisation feature of the camera app in its full destructive glory. Please turn it off. I don't think that motion estimation functionality in the "Resample FPS" filter will be able to fix already ruined videos, but it does no harm to try as suggested by sark, by applying "Decimate" + "Resample FPS".

sark

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on September 24, 2023, 12:36:01 PMbut it does no harm to try as suggested by sark, by applying "Decimate" + "Resample FPS".

Szlldm's suggestion actually. I linked to a guide for prevention, rather than cure. For the reason you mentioned, and in combination with often over sharpened output from mobile phone footage, caution is recommended when panning.

thoste

Quote from: szlldm on September 24, 2023, 08:34:19 AMIf the stuttering means missing frames (variable frame rate),

This works good.
Thank you

But one has to mention that the FPS value needs to be increased (e.g. from 30 (in original video) to 50 or 60 in output video).

Whats the difference between "Motion interpolation" and "Blend"?
I found "motion interpolation" slightly better than "Blend"

sark

Quote from: thoste on September 25, 2023, 04:36:40 AMWhats the difference between "Motion interpolation" and "Blend"?
I found "motion interpolation" slightly better than "Blend"

Way back when I messed around with these options, I found Motion interpolation produced less ghosting, and retained more original detail (in some areas). Neither are particularly sophisticated though. If it works for you though, good luck. One tip... I would be inclined to use a frame rate that is a multiple of the original (25 to 50, or 30 to 60).