--

Main Menu

Nvidia encoding

Started by TheInvoker, November 01, 2023, 11:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInvoker

I have few questions about enconding with GPU
First. H264 is not working. i get the error message
"Cannot set up encoder. The configuration supplied to the encoder may be incompatible or the encoder may depend on features unavailable on this system"

Second
What does preset change?? Bitrate remains always the same (editable) for all presets. With software encoding we have only slow fast medium etc and it's very clear it's only about speed/quality compromise, but here i see also "high quality" "low latency" etc..

eumagga0x2a

If the NVIDIA graphics card in the computer has an encoder on board (not all card do), the graphics driver may be too old to match the NVENC API version Avidemux has been compiled against.

The presets are defined by NVENC API, I really don't know what they do internally. In any case, the preset names used by Avidemux are all deprecated, to be replaced by the new classification, very similar to that of x264 sw encoder.

TheInvoker

enconder on board?? what is it?

i have a 3060ti. Drivers are updated....and NVENC is generic for all NVIDIA encoding. H265 is working. Only H264 is not. Iwth different software it's working

What is this new classification?

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TheInvoker on November 01, 2023, 07:15:41 PMenconder on board?? what is it?

Some NVIDIA graphics cards don't have video encoding units (GT 1030, MX450, MX570A and some others), but 3060 Ti sure has.

Regarding minimum driver version, please have a look at

https://github.com/FFmpeg/nv-codec-headers/tree/sdk/11.1

Quote from: TheInvoker on November 01, 2023, 07:15:41 PMH265 is working. Only H264 is not.

It this the case with the last available VC++ build? Please provide project script showing Nvidia H264 configuration you try to use. The Nvidia H264 encoder works on my PC with a slightly less powerful GPU just fine using my local Avidemux builds.

Quote from: TheInvoker on November 01, 2023, 07:15:41 PMWhat is this new classification?

Simply P1, P2, .... P7:

https://github.com/FFmpeg/nv-codec-headers/blob/master/include/ffnvcodec/nvEncodeAPI.h#L211

TheInvoker

i'm jut an use. so i don't understand the github codes you want me to see. if you could use simple words to explain, please
I don't see any P1 P2 settings. i just want to know what is working and what is useless and should be removed: Profile, Rc Mode, Preset. I hope at least bitrate is working.

VC++ latest i don't know. i have 2.8.1 (220502....4.4.1)

I just picked a random video. it doesn't matter which video i choose, i always have error message

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: TheInvoker on November 08, 2023, 11:00:04 AMI don't see any P1 P2 settings.

The new presets called as mentioned in the linked header file "P1", "P2" and so on up to "P7" (fastest to slowest) need to be implemented in future Avidemux development.

Quote from: TheInvoker on November 08, 2023, 11:00:04 AMVC++ latest i don't know. i have 2.8.1 (220502....4.4.1)

May I ask why? That is not even the last release (very old meanwhile) but even a much older nightly build. Please try a current nightly build from Nov 2 2023 or later, a VC++ (compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio) or a ZIP-packaged MinGW (cross-compiled on Linux for Windows) build (NSIS-packaged *.exe are currently broken). If the issue persists, please provide the info (the project script) I asked you about, else no assessment of the problem can be done.

TheInvoker

why what? i have what your installer installed.
and i had already attached a file.. i don't know who removed it. not me

if the version is the same, 2.8.1, i don't even think i have to download becuase something is changed. i think i have the latest version