Let AD cut at NOT-key-frames - auto-calculate first key (B) frame?

Started by thoste, January 22, 2024, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thoste

In general I appreciate AD very much. But one feature needs an improvement:

Occasionally I want to cut sections in the mid of a *.mp4 video at NON-key-frames (not at key frames).

Steps currently:
I navigate to the next key frame after the planned cut start position,
then click frame backward frame icon until my target cut frame start position is reached
and mark in AD the start position simple frame and finally export the video section interval.

Unfortunately AD exports it with/including the video stuff left (=before) the cut point until the previous key frame.
I wonder whether this couldn't be done more precisely.
AD could take the previous key-B-frame, then add the next simple "I" frames on top of it and finally insert the current cumulated "B" frame as new key frame at the first position. of the exported video interval.

Can this feature be added in the next release?

Thank you

eumagga0x2a

To start export video on a frame which is not a keyframe, you must re-encode. With modern codecs, depending on encoding mode (keyword Open-GOP), there is no way to create a stub of a GOP fitting the following video stream. (You could hide / skip the portion after the leading keyframe using edit lists in MP4 / MOV container. Avidemux cannot perform this task and support for such edit lists may be not universal.)