News:

--

Main Menu

Default GOP dimension

Started by TheInvoker, July 12, 2024, 09:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheInvoker

Hello
How do i edit GOP dimension for ALL codecs and situations?

i mean i know i can save some settings to be default and i already did (x265, MKV, etc etc) but i also often need to use x264 and if i swtich, GOP dimension is reset to default (25-250) and i have to change it every time

sark

Apply all the settings, configurations and filters you want to save as a custom setting.

Save as a Project Script. File/Project Script/Save As Project. When naming ensure the .py extension remains.

Open the script with Notepad and remove the following.

Remove everything between (and including):
if not admin.loadVideo
to
markerB = ******

The asterix represent digits.

Save the changes and place the script in the Avidemux Custom folder to run from the Custom menu.

Quickest way to Custom folder is to open Avidemux and Help/Advanced/Open Application Data Folder. Restart Avidemux to apply.

TheInvoker

this is to save some "presets"
i know.
but i still have to load presets after opening avidemux.

i want GOP size to be ready immediately after i open the software.

which is the file to edit 25-250 values?

eumagga0x2a

The only – hackish and temporary – way to modify the initial encoder configuration would be to manually edit the defaultSettings.py (this is not a link) file in Avidemux profile directory (on Windows, usually %appData%\avidemux), adding just the

adm.videoCodec()
command from your script for each codec you want to use with non-default settings. The last one will remain selected in the GUI.

I agree this needs a proper solution.

TheInvoker

I have to tested more...but i just added a new codec configuration and it seems to work. This is a fine solution

Why do you say it's temporary? i just have to not save defult settings again, i think

sark

Quote from: TheInvokerHow do i edit GOP dimension for ALL codecs and situations

Quote from: TheInvoker on July 13, 2024, 09:03:26 AMI have to tested more...but i just added a new codec configuration and it seems to work. This is a fine solution

So you're saying you can switch codecs in the Video output dropdown list and the new codec will retain the 100 GOP setting? As per your request. That didn't work for me. Clearly I'm doing something wrong?

TheInvoker

how do i edit "i have to tested"?? horrible

but yes..i use ojnly 264 and 265, i didn't do it for all codecs (when i asked for ALL maybe i should have said "any"?) but i suppose i could add a settings for every codec in the list and it should work.

sark

I understood you didn't literally mean ALL codecs, but I could not get it to work on more than the default when I tried yesterday. Not sure what I did wrong. Probably left something in that should not have been there. I copied your example and all working fine now. Very useful.
Wise to make a backup of the .py file, and like you say, remember not to apply the "Save current settings as default" option.

Quote from: TheInvoker on July 14, 2024, 10:10:02 AMhow do i edit "i have to tested"?? horrible

Spammers were hacking and editing old posts so the editing timeline was reduced. It currently only allows editing for a matter of hours (not sure how many). A bit too short a timeline in my opinion, but seems to have solved the problem, so needs must... I'm guessing english is not your first language, so at least you have an excuse, unlike myself ;D

sark

Quote from: eumagga0x2a on July 12, 2024, 10:24:53 PMI agree this needs a proper solution.

Equally useful would be a "Save current settings" (including filters) option. This would save editing a project script. Not everyone will be aware of this workaround.