News:

--

Main Menu

Need help getting started

Started by enchant, March 15, 2012, 03:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enchant

I've looked through the faqs and the wiki, but can find no help.

Is there any sort of "Getting started" tutorial?  I see many tutorials for specific tasks like "Save only audio" or "Batch processing", etc., but I need something for those of use who don't eat, drink and sleep video technologies, or who haven't been using Avidemux for years.

I'm simply trying to cut some video out of an mp4, but the output's audio sounds like it has a heart attack early on.

I'm guessing there's got to be some configuration that needs to be done, but I don't have a clue.

I want to output as mp4.  I see an Output Format dropdown, and there's "MP4 Muxer" and "MP4v2 Muxer.".  Both appear to do the same thing.

Can someone tell me what steps I should take before starting (or point me to a document that does)?  I'm not trying to do anything clever.  Just edit out some unwanted video and save in the same format that it started.  fwiw, my video and audio output dropdowns came set as "Copy", and I didn't change these.

Thanks for any help.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: meanMP4: lavformat based.
MP4v2: libmp4v2 based

Supposedly libmp4v2 files are more compatible with iphone/... devices

When doing what you're saying: copying content from an mp4 container (box) using video: copy and audio: copy to an mp4 container (box) should not cause this problem. If it does, something is odd with that audio content? See if this helps in your case: source video working, audio track problem? <- click

styrol

General info and cutting.

Container format: MP4v2 Muxer (more compatible to some devices like iPhone than MP4 muxer)
Video codec: h.264/AVC (or COPY if it's already h.264 or MPEG-4 ASP)
Audio codec: AAC (or COPY, if it's already AAC)

And if you don't already use Avidemux 2.6, use this version for h.264 content.

enchant

Thanks for the good info, folks. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using v2.6.0 that I downloaded today.

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 15, 2012, 03:53:19 PMIf it does, something is odd with that audio content? See if this helps in your case: source video working, audio track problem? <- click
Thanks.  In that post, they suggest extracting audio using Audacity.  I installed that, but Audacity says it won't accept audio unless it's converted to a normal audio format like WAV (which I thought was the poster's point of using Audacity).

Quote from: styrol on March 15, 2012, 03:58:34 PM
General info and cutting.
styrol, thanks for the pointers to the tutorials.  The "General" one is just a description of each control, but it doesn't tell you how to configure the program for use.  I think I saw the cutting tutorial, and that's pretty much the process that I'm using.

At this point, I'm guessing that perhaps I've got a faulty audio somehow.

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: enchant on March 15, 2012, 04:12:57 PM
Thanks for the good info, folks. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm using v2.6.0 that I downloaded today.

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 15, 2012, 03:53:19 PMIf it does, something is odd with that audio content? See if this helps in your case: source video working, audio track problem? <- click
Thanks.  In that post, they suggest extracting audio using Audacity.  I installed that, but Audacity says it won't accept audio unless it's converted to a normal audio format like WAV (which I thought was the poster's point of using Audacity).
2.6 is currently not allowing audio import (wav or mp3). 2.6 is still work in progress. If audacity can take the audio from your video clip and is playing ok in audacity. And if your video clip can open in 2.5.6, then you can use the exported audio from audacity and import this back in avidemux. Being odd audio does not necessary means that the audio is faulty.

The links provided by styrol, on the left on those more links to more stuff for reading, talk it step by step

enchant

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on March 15, 2012, 06:14:21 PMIf audacity can take the audio from your video clip and is playing ok in audacity. And if your video clip can open in 2.5.6, then you can use the exported audio from audacity and import this back in avidemux. Being odd audio does not necessary means that the audio is faulty.
That's the problem.  Audacity canNOT take the audio from my video clip.  When I try to open one of them, I get:

"[file]" is an Advanced Audio Coding file.
Audacity cannot open this type of file.
You need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF.

styrol

Quote"[file]" is an Advanced Audio Coding file.
Audacity cannot open this type of file.
You need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF.

AAC is handled by ffmpeg: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=wma-proprietary
You have to install ffmpeg.

You may use MediaInfo (or the "i" button in Avidemux) to post info on your source file. Or you may share a sample.

nibbles

I never proved to myself whether avidemux-2.6 worked with mp4v2-r479 or needs the older mp4v2-1.9.1.
I should probably solve that, as I have an open pull request for that.

url 'http://mp4v2.googlecode.com/files/mp4v2-1.9.1.tar.bz2'
url 'http://mp4v2.googlecode.com/files/mp4v2-trunk-r479.tar.bz2'
homepage 'http://code.google.com/p/mp4v2/'

enchant

Well, my solution was to back up to v2.5 and save as video only (2.6 doesn't do that).  Then I extracted the audio using foobar200, and muxed them together with Aegisub.  Took all day to figure out, but it looks like I've got something that works now.

Thanks again for the help!

nibbles

I found my answer.  2.6 builds it's own mp4v2 internally.