NTSC to PAL, adding black borders changes the aspect ratio

Started by wanttobefree, March 14, 2012, 04:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanttobefree

Hello,
I'm attempting to convert a *.vob file NTSC to PAL. So I'm trying to convert the size from 720x480 to 720x576. For this purpose, I used the "Add black borders" filter, specifying 48 above and below. The problem is that after doing this the aspect ratio of the video changes and it is stretched in his width.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you

Agent_007

PAR of NTSC and PAL DVDs are different. So just adding black bars won't create good result.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

nibbles

Converting ntsc to pal should only be done as a last resort.
You have to re-encode, losing quality.
You have fps issues, color issues, and aspect ratio issues.
Nearly all dvd players will play both ntsc and pal discs.
Your computer certainly will, and you can stream that anywhere using a Roku or AppleTV or whatnot.
This isn't 2002 :-)

wanttobefree

Quote from: nibbles on March 15, 2012, 09:57:19 AM
Converting ntsc to pal should only be done as a last resort.
You have to re-encode, losing quality.
You have fps issues, color issues, and aspect ratio issues.
Nearly all dvd players will play both ntsc and pal discs.
Your computer certainly will, and you can stream that anywhere using a Roku or AppleTV or whatnot.
This isn't 2002 :-)

Ok thank you ;)
the problem is that I need to make a compilation of clips and burn it on a dvd, and so I was trying to merge them together, but Avidemux didn't let me do it since they have different dimensions (some are PAL and some are NTSC).
Anyway I thought of a solution: I can put the clips as different chapters in the dvd, so they will be played in sequence, that is in fact what I need. But do you think is possible for a dvd player to play it even if the clip are diffent standards (PAL and NTSC)?
I ask because I tried to make a very basic dvd with only two clips, one PAL and the other NTSC and it doesn't run in Media Player Classic (it says: "Incompatible disc and decoder region"), instead in VLC it does.

Agent_007

Most DVD authoring software won't allow you to make mixed PAL/NTSC content discs.
I am away between 15th of May - 15th of June. (yes, I am playing D3)

bernd_b

I am not at my pc, so I cannot be very precise:

there are several filters for doing such a job:

- the Audio filter has some preset for changing speed (Film to Pal etc.)
- the are similiar options under video to change the fps (frames per second -again Film to Pal etc)

Now, the length of the video and audio is changed  (when you convert from ntsc to Pal, then you speed up the original).

This assumes you use full frame source material (running with 23.976 fps) and no deinterlaced ntsc-material (running at 29.xy fps). If the second one is the case, you have to deinterlace the source material first. This means in avidemux, you have to add an additional appropriate filter deinterlacing from 29.xy to 23.976. I don't know the exact name (was it something with "telecine?!") by heart from here.

But noone asked for this. ::) :-[

So finally: Another video filter is needed, as suggested, to change the resolution. But this should be the easiest one to be set in avidemux.
Adding borders change the resolution too, but as both aim to be shown on a standard tv device, you change the aspect ratio this way.

Have fun. ;D