used to run, doesn't any more

Started by tsc.v1.1, March 23, 2012, 11:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsc.v1.1

i used to run avidemux and use it, until lately. now when i try running it the arrow turns into an animated circle like it normally does when the computer is busy with something, then the arrow comes back but the program doesn't appear, even in the task manager. just as if nothing had happened at all. version 2.5.6 of avidemux, 64 bit. i tried both zip and exe versions. i'm running windows 7 on a dell laptop. if you need more details please let me know.

nibbles

People have been saying that firewalls and ids systems get in the way of things loading.
Have you installed or updated or reactivated any security items?  What was the worst
one, Zone Alarm @Jan?

tsc.v1.1

good call. i tried running it in safe mode and it worked (with several programs including avast antivirus and zone alarm free not running). then i experimented (normal boot) with avast (not the problem) and zone alarm. when i killed the process called "ZoneAlarm Browser Security" i could get avidemux to run quickly before the zone alarm process was "re-spawned." now the problem is that nothing i try with zone alarm seems to make any difference. i removed the program listing for avidemux. i thought zone alarm would ask me what to do the next time i tried to run it but that didn't happen. so then i added the program back into the list and gave it permission for everything. still no change. at this point i'm not sure what else to do. if you have any ideas, i'd like to hear them.

thanks

Jan Gruuthuse

Quote from: nibbles on March 24, 2012, 12:00:58 AM
People have been saying that firewalls and ids systems get in the way of things loading.
Have you installed or updated or reactivated any security items?  What was the worst
one, Zone Alarm @Jan?
Yes, it is
Quote from: tsc.v1.1 on March 24, 2012, 03:39:46 AM
... At this point i'm not sure what else to do. if you have any ideas, i'd like to hear them.
Uninstall Zonealarm is the only way.