Secondary audio track in MP4 file

Started by sp00n, April 02, 2012, 12:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp00n

Is it somehow possible to add a secondary audio stream to an MP4 file?
Currently you actually do have the option to select mulitple sound tracks, but after saving only the first is found within the container. I've found noo specification that prohibits the use of multiple audio streams for an MP4 container, so is this just a limitation of AviDemux, or is there a way around this?

It (obviously) works when I selectl AVI (dua audio), but I've heard so many people complaining about "H.264 doesn't belong into an AVI container!" that I wanted to switch over to MP4. Unfortunately I've then encountered the problem mentioned above.

(I've found a mp4box command to add multiple streams, but I'd like to do this in AviDemux itself.)

Jan Gruuthuse

With avidemux 2.5.6, maybe 2.5.5 to? From the menu: Audio: Secondary Track: Audio Source: External AC3, MP3 or WAV, should do what you want. Currently not available in 2.6.

styrol

Quotebut I've heard so many people complaining about "H.264 doesn't belong into an AVI container!" that I wanted to switch over to MP4.
Taking about standards and compatibility you shouldn't put mp3 into mp4 container, select mkv as container.

sp00n

Quote from: Jan Gruuthuse on April 02, 2012, 12:20:53 PM
With avidemux 2.5.6, maybe 2.5.5 to? From the menu: Audio: Secondary Track: Audio Source: External AC3, MP3 or WAV, should do what you want. Currently not available in 2.6.
Sorry, should've added that I am using version 2.5.6.

Quote from: styrol on April 02, 2012, 06:14:09 PM
Taking about standards and compatibility you shouldn't put mp3 into mp4 container, select mkv as container.
Well, I would've liked to add AAC (m4a) audio tracks instead, but AviDemux doesn't allow that either. I can only choose from WAV/MP3/AC3.

sp00n

Thank you for trying, but I'm afraid I have no idea how that is supposed to help.
I am already using Audactiy to create the audio tracks, and they're working just fine, it's simply that the second audio track isn't saved.
Also, dropping the MP4 file into Audacity only imports one tracks, whereas if I drop a dual audio AVI, I can choose between two streams to be imported (as does dropping the dual audio MP4 created with mp4box).

I've also already found the entry in the Wiki that says It only works when the output format is "AVI, dual audio" (probably should've added that in the original posting as well), but as the GUI lets me actually choose a second audio track when going for MP4, I was hoping that there was a way to achieve this with the MP4 container as well.
And since it does work with other programs (e.g. mp4box), I see no restriction beside "not supported (yet)" why it shouldn't.