Is it possible to have an avi file larger than 4GB?

Started by Kurkos_dr, May 05, 2012, 11:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurkos_dr

Assuming we use a filesystem that supports files larger than 4GB, and we don't care about standalone DVD player compatibility, is it posssible to have an AVI file larger than 4GB?

Today I tried to create an 4.36GB AVI file, but I simply can't (even if i try to join two 2.18GB files with stream copy in avidemux). Avidemux (i have set configure -> split every MB) will either truncate the file to 3.99GB reducing the duration, or split the file into pieces (avi, avi01 etc), and Pinnacle Studio (which doesn't support stream copy) will just ignore the bitrate I set and adjust the bitrate so that the resulting avi is under 4GB.

So, I was wondering, is this a software-imposed restriction (to preserve standalone DVD player compatibility), or the AVI container just doesn't allow files over 4GB?

PS: 4GB = 4294967296 bytes

Jan Gruuthuse

Have you marked the [v] Create OpenDML files in Preferences -> Output? If the media you saving on like hard disk or USB key has fat32 partition, this could cause the same symptoms. When on ntfs partition this should not happen.
Avi container is rarely used on dvd. Would be MPEG-PS for dvd-video.