Can't Make Video CD-compatible MPEG-PS

Started by andrewk8, May 27, 2012, 08:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewk8

Have a source MPEG file that meets the NTSC Video CD standard.  I'm trying to split the file with Avidemux 2.5.6 64-bit on Windows 7 x64.  When I try to save the split file, I keep getting an error message:

Incompatible Audio.
For DVD, audio must be 48kHz MP2(Stereo), AC3, DTS, or LPCM (stereo)

I verified the audio and video formats with MediaInfo and they are correct for Video CD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD#Technical_specifications)

I don't want to transcode, so I selected the Copy formats for both audio and video.  The target format of MPEG-PS (A+V) matches the same format as the source and I changed the Muxing Format to Video CD.  Even though I chose the Video CD muxing format, I always get the error message about the DVD audio bitrate.

So Avidemux tries to make a DVD-compatible MPEG, regardless of the muxing format setting.

Jan Gruuthuse

Looks like you found a bug? Has nothing to do with the audio track or NTSC, same happens with PAL video CD content.
Some testing is going wrong as far as I can see it. If you load the video and make the cut and select in Auto: Optical Disc: Super Video CD or Video CD. You see that video is set to encode, audion stays set to copy. This works and you can save the video. As you change Video to copy, some procedure checks for DVD compliance and it should not. Should check for  Super Video CD or Video CD compliance.

If this is urgent, in avidemux 2.6
Video CD Video: copy Audio: copy Output Format MPEG-PS Muxer (ff) Configure: VCD works

For Developers
Super Video CD Video: copy Audio: copy Output Format MPEG-PS Muxer (ff) Configure: SVCD is not working.

Jan Gruuthuse

VCD 20 MB sample download just in case you need one.