Audio section missing in the .idx2 index file of (some) MPEG Program stream

Started by SeventyPlus, June 03, 2012, 11:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeventyPlus

TOPIC: Audio section missing in the .idx2 index file of (some) MPEG Program stream (.mpg) files when indexed with V2.6 avidemux.

For 'some' MPEG Program stream (.mpg) files, Avidemux v.2.6 r7996 win32 (or previous builds) does not generate an audio section in the .idx2 index file.

The MPEG Program stream (.mpg) files come from a Panasonic SDR-S150 video camera. The characteristics of these files (plain SD MPEG) are documented in Topic "Have problem with CLI and Scripts on Windows build 2.6 versions" Reply #27 (http://www.avidemux.org/smf/index.php?topic=10684.15).

Actually my findings for 'some' are : from a set of 82 source files, 9 files came out - when indexed with avidemux V2.6 - with an .idx2 index file without Audio section.

All these mpeg source files contain audio.

The same mpeg source files, when indexed with avidemux v2.5.6, have complete (and in so far as I can check) correct .idx index files with both the audio and the video information in it. As a supplementary test, I took the 9 source files with incomplete V2.6 type .idx2 indexes, and joined them (copy) into one single mpeg program stream output with Avidemux v2.5.6 (of course using the V2.5 style .idx index files). The audio of that output file is complete and seems correct all over the line; no audio is missing for any of the input segments.

Both the GUI and the CLI programs of Avidemux V.2.6 produce an .idx2 index with missing audio section for the same source file.

The problem seems systematic (for the same file). My actual findings are:

• If Avidemux V2.6 creates a 'complete' .idx2 index file (with both audio and video sections) for a given mpeg source file, then Avidemux will always rebuild a 'complete' .idx2 index for that same source file.
  • If Avidemux V2.6 creates an .idx2 index with missing audio section for a given mpeg source file, then Avidemux will always rebuild an 'incomplete' .idx2 index (with missing audio section) for that same source file.

Attachment to this post: for the same source file 2000-01-01_29.MPG
(1) a complete .idx index file (with audio and video section), generated by avidemux v.2.5.6 win32 (no installer).
(2) an incomplete .idx2 index file (audio section missing), generated by avidemux V.2.6.0 r7996 win32.