News:

--

Main Menu

TS result larger than the original

Started by ET3D, July 08, 2012, 08:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET3D

I'm recording using Hauppauge HDPVR in TS format with variable bitrate. I tried to cut this video using Avidemux r8044, copying the video and audio into an output TS file (VBR). The program reads and displays great and the result looks fine, which I'm very happy with (this doesn't work in Avidemux 2.5), but after cutting a few minutes and saving the resulting file ended up larger than the original.

Is there any way to get a real copy of the part I want? That should be smaller than the original.

Jan Gruuthuse

Most likely this has to do with "filler NALU"? Hard to tell exactly. Can you provide a 10 second recording and upload this to a website (Rapidshare or similar) and provide a link to it. The recording would that be by any chance from ORF? They transmit in variable bit rate (VBR) in a constant bit rate (CBR) stream. Or are these homemade recordings from your computer/game console? Could be that Hauppauge HDPVR makes these recordings with stripped NALU.

When I edit/cut mpeg-ts recordings in dvb-s/s2 and just use Video/Audio: Copy and stay in Output Format MPEG-TS, I don't have seen this behavior.
More info can be found here:
Videostream 720p
MPEG transport stream: Null packets

ET3D

Thanks for the reply. I uploaded a six second clip captured from my set top box here (on my Box account). If I open it and save it using 'copy/copy' and MPEG-TS, it grows a little. Less than my other test, but probably enough to understand what's going on.