News:

--

Main Menu

[DivX] You can create chapters?

Started by DMD, July 15, 2012, 06:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMD

good morning
is there any procedure to insert chapters into an avi (DivX)?

Thanks

styrol

AVI container does not support chapters. Select MP4 or MKV as container format and use a software which allows you to create chapters tracks.

zhangweiwu

Quote from: styrol on July 20, 2012, 05:29:24 PM
AVI container does not support chapters. Select MP4 or MKV as container format and use a software which allows you to create chapters tracks.

This reply is strange. The OP did not mention AVI container format at all. OP asked about DivX, and DivX Media Format does support chapter marks (seach the word "chapter" on its wikipedia page). Even AVI have 3rd party means to suport chapter mark - not that I like AVI though.

And what is "a software which allows you to create chapter tracks"? Not avidemux, I guess?

styrol

Quote from: zhangweiwu on February 06, 2014, 05:50:25 AM
The OP did not mention AVI container format at all.
Chapters are part of the container, not of the video track. In MP4 the chapters are separate tracks.
IMHO the OP referred quite clearly to a DivX encoded video which is stored in AVI (AVI container format):

Quote from: DMD on July 15, 2012, 06:12:13 AM
is there any procedure to insert chapters into an avi (DivX)?
DivX is an encoder which produces MPEG-4 part 2 video, which was/is stored in AVI or an extension of it (which is labeled as *.divx" by the DivX company) and was very popular before AVC (H.264) was introduced. Today the DivX encoder is able to produce MPEG-4 part 10 (AVC) too, which is stored in MKV.
And as I said MKV is able to store chapters.

QuoteAnd what is "a software which allows you to create chapter tracks"? Not avidemux, I guess?
Correctly.

zhangweiwu

Did you look into the wikipedia page, about the container format DivX, and check by yourself whether or not it support chapter marks? Not knowing DivX container format beyond DivX codec is common, that's why I explained where to look for information about this container format. I even captitalized the phrase "DivX Media Format" to emphasize that it is a format, not a codec, that I am addressing.

I assume people don't talk about container formats that is not supported by avidemux, thus I am pretty sure the author is talking about AVI without being explicit; so why do  I bring up the topic of DivX container format? Because I intending to call awareness that not only the OP isn't careful on details, but everyone is.

Nevertheless this topic worth no more time, more interesting is another topic of how difficult it would be to add chapter marking feature in avidemux, kindly divert the energe to the new topic? I posted it here:
http://avidemux.org/smuf/index.php/topic,14570.0.html

AQUAR

@ zhangweiwu
The OP was explicit in asking if chapters were supported in .avi and implied that the video format was compressed by DivX.
So changing that question, by substituting .avi by .divx in an imperceptible way, adds confusion to the proper reply of the OP's question.

Nothing wrong with the point you are making.
Just that some clarification was needed at the point of changing the question.
So I agree with you - be careful on details.

The .divx container format is proprietary and is an extension to the .avi format for adding new feature sets like chapters.
IMHO, it doesn't belong in programs that conform to GPL (like avidemux).