New version (2.7.5) encumbers multitasking

Started by EFuggerth, February 20, 2020, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFuggerth

After re-building my home-system from scratch as of present, on my 1st encounter with Avidemux's newest release I found it takes the whole screen (24" 16:9 LG) to be operable.
I see no ways to overcome this feature.
Previously I used the properly functioning nightly [r181112win64 (Nov 12, 2018)], but as I see your list (http://avidemux.org/nightly/win64/) it has gone.
Multi-windows arrangement with smaller Avidemux-area on the screen allowed easy checks and file-manipulations too.
May we expect this new version appear smaller, or earlier nightlies made available to reinstall for a while?

eumagga0x2a

You must have increased font sizes in Windows settings, usually automatically applied by Windows in true HiDPI conditions, but otherwise confusing the automatic HiDPI scaling in Qt, enabled shortly after 2.7.3, making Avidemux finally usable on HiDPI / "retina" displays.

You can disable it for all Qt applications by adding an environment variable QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR and setting it to 0. To restrict the effect to Avidemux only, you would need to use a batch script.

edit: I hesitate to add one more setting to allow to disable HiDPI autoscaling in the Preferences because such a setting would do nothing for the vast majority with default font sizes and non-retina displays.

EFuggerth

Indeed, after setting the display to "medium" (i.e. 125%) Avidemux opens smaller and resizable by dragging at the edge of its window-frame.
But this as general setting does not fit my impaired eyes; and my talents are elsewhere than in composing batch scripts, I'm sorry. [Despite visiting the details behind the links you offered.]
In the meanwhile, I humbly keep hoping for your hesitation to turn in my favour.  8)

eumagga0x2a

Quote from: EFuggerth on February 20, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
my talents are elsewhere than in composing batch scripts, I'm sorry.

Do you use other Qt applications which are negatively affected from setting the env variable? The env var approach is very straightforward and simple, no talents needed.

QuoteIn the meanwhile, I humbly keep hoping for your hesitation to turn in my favour.  8)

I'm sorry, but I thought it was clear that this is not coming (however, I am open for a different solution, hoping in turn for Qt developers making autoscaling configurable via qt.conf).